Archery Frontal Shots Poll

Do You take frontal shots with your bow?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Primitive

Jan 2, 2013
I know this will stir the pot ;D  but I for one was a never until recently, just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

I myself typically will not take the shot, but if everything is right, I myself and my brother have taken bulls with a frontal shot.

At close range and under absolutely perfect conditions. I have, with good results. But only as a last resort. Again, I'm talking inside of 10 yards and the animal completely facing me with no obstructions between us.

Broadside or slightly quatering only for myself. This year had 350 6 pt at 6 yds for 5 minutes as he and another 6 pt had a stare down. Nothing between he and I and I was on my knees. Did not take it and have passed on it for years. I can sleep well at night knowing that for me it was the right decision. This shot can be nethal no doubt, but the ones we hear about are the success stories.

My hunting buddy took a frontal shot at a lead cow 10 yards away as she was walking up the mountain. The arrow went through her chest and all the way through and out the hind quarter. I believe that if you know an elks anatomy and everything is right it is an ethical shot.

I did not know how to answer the poll. I took my first frontal shot last season on a 6x6 bull at 10 yards. It didnt end up well. After miles of tracking, we lost ALL sign. So, I'm not sure if Ill ever take that shot again.

Have always passed the frontal shot.  I made the mistake early on in my hunting career to hit one front on and i ended up having to track it a couple miles.  It was hit OK but not exactly where i would have liked.  After that tracking experience, I decided I would never take a frontal shot unless he was standing right infront of me.

I haven't been in this situation in my hunting career yet, but I would take it only if the bull were a 330 or higher class bull. That is kinda my personalstandard.

If it's in a range that I'm extremely comfortable with and the conditions are right I'd take it.  But if anything felt not perfect I'd pass.

Haven't been faced with the choice in the field yet, hope I never am.  This is why when I call elk in I tell them to come in broadside.  ;)

Backpack Hunter said:
No problems with a good close frontal or quartering to shot. Know the anatomy, and its no big deal.
Im with you on this one but It did get me one time,Elk jumped the string and as i dropped down to take off head went down and I hit it in the forhead,arrow bounced off and no harm done other than a headace for the elk.I did shoot that same elk with my riffle a month later and found the scare on his forehead.

turbo1967 said:
Backpack Hunter said:
No problems with a good close frontal or quartering to shot. Know the anatomy, and its no big deal.
Im with you on this one but It did get me one time,Elk jumped the string and as i dropped down to take off head went down and I hit it in the forhead,arrow bounced off and no harm done other than a headace for the elk.I did shoot that same elk with my riffle a month later and found the scare on his forehead.

Now that's a pretty wild story! Glad you ended up getting him.

If conditions are right and your dialed in to your set up I would take a frontal shot. Would have to be at least 30yrds or closer for me to feel good about penetration.

Absolutely... Wish I would've thought that way years ago when I would pass on a good frontal shot.  If the animal is close (within 15 yards) let it fly.  My first 6 point was taken at about 10 yards as he came screaming into me.  I shot him with a 51 lbs. recurve / 2 blade Eclipse and the arrow exited out the rear end.  He made it about 30 yards and was still bugling at me as he fell over.  Blood everywhere....  Frontal YES,  quartering towards you NO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back