Archery hunting during muzzleloader...

Mr.BowJangles

Jun 11, 2014
Hey all. Wanted to see what everyone's experience has been with archery hunting for elk during Colorado's muzzle loader season. I have only been on one OTC elk hunt in CO, and we went the week before muzzle loader started. I know there later in September, the better the rutting activity, but what is the risk vs. reward when it comes to extra hunting pressure that muzzle loaders bring? Are the elk still vocal? Because of some scheduling conflicts with my brother in law and me, we would either be able to hunt the 7th thru 15th, or the 18th thru the end of the archery season. Would appreciate any good/bad first hand experience, and factors to consider during muzzle loader season. Thanks

We started going opening day our first trip and have kept pushing it back till now we go the last two weeks. I see very little muzzleloader pressure where we hunt. Defently run into more bow guys than muzzleloader. IMO they are more vocal the last 2 weeks. We hunt 14 and 214

Our first trip was from the 4th to the 14th. The elk were vocal, but a group that we met out there said they heard there firest bugle the night we rolled into camp. That being said, the last weekend we were there was the day before bear and muzzleloader for elk and we did see a lot more activity! I'm sure the hunting pressure would stir the elk up again and we would just have to find were their new hide out was at.

I know many bowhunters avoid hunting during the muzzy season but I think it's usually a great time to be out as it's usually the middle of the month.  We skipped it a couple years ago and found out later that it was the peak of bugling so we went early and late and totally missed most of the bugling.  I'd not be too worried about bow hunting during the muzzy season.

Tough call...I hunted the entire season in Colorado last year.  Everything was quiet the first couple weeks and then they got super vocal at the start of muzzleloader, but then shut down almost completely after a couple days of shots ringing out.  Then it took them until the half way through the final week of archery to get really fired up again.  So if you're looking for vocal elk and only have a week to get it done, then I would either start hunting a few days prior to muzzle loader...or the last week of the season.  Either option should hopefully get you into some bugling bulls.

Thanks everyone for responding. It looks like we will be headed out on the 18th and hunting thru the end of Archery season. Hopefully the elk will be screamin and we get into some good action.

As a muzzleloader hunter I hear plenty of bugling. However, I count on a lot of bow hunters not hunting during my season.

We have to use open sights and need to get close like bow hunters. We aren't just blasting away at elk 500 yds away like in rifle seasons. I've never shot an elk over 40-50yds away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back