Archery ONLY

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Any western states offer an elk hunting area for archery only?
Wouldn't it be great to have a few thousand acres of bow hunting only for elk?

I don't know of any, but there are lots of states that do late hunts for elk. I'm thinking about doing one next year with my bow. I think you can use rifle or bow and hopefully I have already downed one elk and can try a depridation hunt and try to get two with my bow.

Utah has a late archery season but earlier in the year the area holds a rifle hunt.

Where in Utah is that late hunt I live there and just getting back into Archery Hunting?

I am sure the hunt he is talking about is the extended Wasatch front and Sanpete county extended hunts. Check the new 2013 regulations and go on line to see the unit boundaries.

I think someone needs to submit that to the docket and get that passed! I know WA will never go for it though...  There are a few small units close to towns in MT that are archery only.  But not real big units or remote stuff.

We have issues in the foothills all the time. People keep building houses higher and higher on the mountain and then complain the deer are in their yard. Then when we put together a city archery hunt proposal it gets turned down because they don't like hunters. Utah Fish and game set up a plan to harvest as many does as possible and donate them to the Utah chapter of FHFH but I only received 15 deer and it ended. Not sure of all the details but safety was a big concern due to kids in surrounding yards when deer were getting shot. I say if you want to live on the mountain deal with the deer or better yet quit taking their habitat from them and find somewhere else to live.

I believe WY has some archery only units but I could be wrong as I've not looked into them in great detail.  The units I'm familar with allows you to buy a bow tag IF you first draw a rifle tag but you cannot buy the bow tag for that unit separately.  CO has some limited archery units (requires application and preference points) but as far as I know, all of them will have both a muzzy season as well as rifle hunts at later dates.

You would suspect as much as archery elk hunting has grown in the past years an archery or at least a "primitive hunt only area" would be established.
I have heard of some land owners that allow archery only and charge a trespass fee, but I do not know of any. If I had a big chunk of western land, that's how I would do it.
Some of the ranching for wildlife may be, but it's not open to non-residents in Colorado.
It would be great to hunt elk land that's not getting gun pressure also.

It would be great to have some archery only areas for sure. No rifle for deer or elk just stick and string.

interesting thought there, it would be like an elk mecca where only archery hunters can go. Of course there would also have to be a rifle and muzzi only area as well.

Even just a primitive weapons only would be good here in CO.  Archery, Muzzleloader, 4 rifle seasons, and then some of these same elk get hit with the late season hunts in December. Makes for a long 4 months to be on the run/lookout.

Idaho has three le units that are just for archery, and a handful of otc units for archery that are le for the rifle guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back