Archery Tactics on a Rifle Hunt?

Flying Forester

Jul 7, 2015
As I study and research for my first hunt (2016 season), which for a number of reasons will be a rifle hunt.  Not the least of which is that I have an honor to do my 1947 Winchester Model 70 30GOV'T06 that my grandfather left me.  I need to take an elk with it.  Besides that, I just don't have the archery background yet to feel confident with a bow when I go afield...maybe the 2017 season I will be able to add that method to stretch my season. 

So my question is:  So much of the information that is out there on podcasts, forums, magazines, books, videos, etc is heavily weighted on archery hunting.  With that said, how do tactics specific to archery hunting skills cross over to a rifle hunt?  Do you consider them one-in-the-same or do you have varying approaches to depending on your weapon?  How and Why?  Obviously, with a rifle one need-not get as close to their target to be successful, but if you can be, why not? 

One caution I would have with using too much archery technique on a rifle hunt is that if you get to close to the elk, one might place himself down-range of another rifle hunter seeing the same elk.  (Enter blaze orange).   

The variables are endless for sure! Looking forward to the discussion.  Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back