Are my arrows properly spined?

atfrith

May 16, 2014
been seeing lots of posts about these archery programs for your computer that tell you exactly what arrow is right for your setup. What I\'m wondering is how these differ from the standard free charts you find on eastons website etc?
It got me wondering about my own setup. Which is between spines on some charts and right on with others. My arrows fly alright, but I would say there\'s room for improvement, while I\'m accurate out to the 50 yards I practice I can see some occasional wobble or odd flight patterns in my arrows. Im afraid that when I get to broad head tuning in the next week I might be seeing more problems arise.

Anyways, Here\'s my current setup. Bow is a 2014 bear attitude, 70lbs. Draw length 27.5\". I\'m shooting Easton fmj\'s cut to 27.5\", 340 spine, 125 grain head. Total arrow weight is around 486 grains

I\'ve played around with slightly longer arrows, 100 grain tips and lower draw weight but I keep coming back to the above setup, I just feel like there is still room for some improvement and I\'m not sure where at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you shooting through a Biscuit or a drop away? I went through hell this summer shooting in my basement only to find out I had some fletching contact on one of my arrows. Simple fix as my knock had rotated somehow. (Of course I had gotten screamed at for using my wifes expensive lipstick to find the contact.

I\'d say your spined fine for your setup. That arrow wobble is coming from something else... :dk:

\"Lark Bunting\" said:
I\'d say your spined fine for your setup. That arrow wobble is coming from something else... :dk:

X2

Paper tune it and you will probably see the problem.

Hamskea hybrid hunter Drop away, and it\'s a new addition to the bow in fact so I bet that\'s the culprit. Hmm, any tricks to figuring out fletching contact? Even with my biscuit the cables were awfully close to my center shot so I had to scoot my rest basically as far right as it will go before it looks like the fletching will hit, but that\'s just using my bare eye. With the biscuit I could just rotate the knock slightly. But with this new drop away there isn\'t a whole lot of wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eliminate all easy stuff first.

number your arrows. that way you will know if it is the same shaft flying wild.
with the drop away, you can rotate your cock vane out. buy you some clearance for the cables.
i also use lipstick. i put a thin bead of it on the edge of all my vanes and fire. if there is contact, the lipstick rubs off onto whatever it touches. make sure you lower the lipstick tube before you put the cap back on..or you will crush the tip and have a pissed off wife. this isnt a flat top tube of chapstick.

I put your bow specs and arrow specs into my OT2 software and it says your spine is a little stiff... It says you would need to increase your arrow length to 29.5\" to achieve an optimal spine. Or you could shoot a 150 gr broadhead with a 50gr insert and the same length arrow. So what does this mean for pracital purposes... not a whole lot. You are most likely experiencing a tuning or form problem. Spine is important, but you\'re not far enough away from optimal spine to cause an arrow \"wobble.\" Check your form again and make sure you\'re being as consistent as possible. If you still have a wobble, you might need to adjust your rest or nock.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back