Are you a High Country High Roller or High Country Hobo?

c.rash

Jan 28, 2013
Me?  I'm a hobo.  I have a few items of camo that match, but they don't match my pack or my bow or my gloves and I don't have $400 boots.

It just seems like the industry is becoming too pricey for the average guy out here trying to pursue their passion.

This thread is intended to field this question:

What cost-effective or home-made gear have you discovered?

Personally, I love the three pack of stuff sacks from wal-mart.  When backpacking, keeping your gear organized is imperative.  These sacks are water resistant and tough.  Also, I picked up a go-lite 90L pack on sale for $100.  The pack is green, weighs less than 5lb, and handles weight like a champ.  I don't know what it's rated for, but I had 70lb in it and I haven't found one busted stitch.  Pretty good for a non-hunting pack.

I guess I am a hobo, mismatched camo, none of the popular name hunting gear clothing,  Almost everything I have was a clearance, bargain cave, or sale item.

....hmmm....not sure where I fall in this one. The only thing that might match is my outer layer of clothing, but I do have quite a bit of "high end" gear. And yet, almost all of it was purchased at a steep discount.

Shoes would probably put me in the hobo camp though.

I'm a hobo. Nothing I use matches ever. I use whatever I feel like wearing for the trip or whatever is best for the predicted weather. I think if I were to look at my pictures of hunting over the last 10 years I wouldn't be wearing the same set of camo in any two pictures.

depends on which thing.  My pack, boots, and bow I didn't skimp on (kenetrek, mystery ranch, and hoyt carbon matrix), but my clothes are all cotton realtree from walmart and a nonmatching columbia rainshell and i usually just wear underarmour and sweatpants underneath.  My gloves and socks are crap too.  One day I'll have a nice set of clothes, but it's not at the top of my list

I don't care for the title, but I guess I would be more of a high roller.

I don't use stick matches to light a fire to cook with, I use a JetBoil stove.
I don't sleep on a cot. I use a down sleeping bag with an insulating pad.
I don't use second hand boots. I use a boot that fits me well and doesn't give me blisters or hot spots.
I don't use a rucksack. I use a backpack that will carry everything I need to be succeful on the field and get back to my loved once.
I don't use cotton clothing. I use the one that will keep me warm and dry.
I don't use a cheap pair of binoculars. I use the most expensive I can afford in order to glass more and find my quarry, the reason I am there to begin with.
I don't use a horse and a wagon to get me to where I hunt. I use a truck that has power locks and power windows.
I do use a recurve from time to time. But, most of my kills came from my well equipped compound bow.

Label me what you must you hobo's.  ;)  Lol

Im a cross over, leaning more towards hobo I think. As Steven Tyler said once, it costs a lot of money to look this poor.

I've tried to prioritize a few important things.  For me that's been great boots, a really nice sleeping bag and a pack that is comfortable and fits me well.  I can't do cotton clothing either, especially when you're backpacking for 7-10 days. 

I've acquired a nice selection of smartwool socks (they're the best by far) and one or two nice shirts.  I've been using the same bow setup for about 5 years but I am going to shoot new arrows this year.

I have a big collection of gear but most of it has been purchased over many years of hunting.  I try not to buy a lot of brand new stuff every year if I can get away with it. 

Typically more expensive gear lasts longer, is more durable and tends to be more functional.

OK, I guess I am a High Country High Roller. Like others have said before me, you more often than not, get what you pay for. But I can't think of one item I paid full price on. I also don't buy the "hot new product" every year. I figure if I do my research and buy quality gear, it should last quite a while.

5 years ago i would of had to say High Roller but now I would fall as a tweener I quit buying all the latest and greatest about 5 years ago. I still hunt with my Predator camo not the latest digital and so on and so forth. But I still call in lots of bulls and we kill the top of them almost every year.

More of a hobo - but wouldn't pass up the high roller gear if I could afford it! I spend a lot of time a long way out and often solo. So I am not going to skimp on any gear that keeps me safe. That means no cotton as it doesn't keep you warm when wet. That means a quality waterproof backpack. That means quality boots - no way I want to have problems with my feet when they are the only thing that can get me out! I buy the best hunting gear I can afford which tends to be middle of the road gear. I try to save up to get one piece of good gear that will last a long time. Next on my list is a high quality backpack for packing out and bivy hunting.  Might take me another year to save up though...

high roller in training i guess..  full sitka system is the most comfortable clothing ive ever used. kenetrek boots and gaiters (soon to be kuiu gaiters) custom rifle with nightforce optics, fully loaded bowtech, eberlestock dragonfly, granite gear meat pack, jetboil, swarovski spotting scope, lieca 1600 range finder, swaro binos.  sierra dri-down bag, thermo neo air xlite pad. montana canvas wall tent or 35 ft weekend warrior for base camp, kifaru mega tarp with stove for bivy

not to brag at all, just have been in the spot before where i had wall mart camo, loaner pronghorn boots, cotton socks, rattling metal frame pack that smelled of moth balls from the surplus store. broken $30 binos, loaner shot out rifle and a old school bear bow with no sights and a $29 bimart coleman tiny tent.  i hunted this way for years. i had never been more miserable in my life hunting. it almost made me give up hunting all together. it did actually make me take up bass fishing and so i went and bought a bass boat, i hardly hunted for three years but then i was able to sell the bass boat and buy ing some good hunting gear. slowly over a bunch of years i just accumulated all theses pieces and put a pretty good package together.  i can hunt from before daylight to after dark and i am perfectly comfy in almost any situation.  its been really nice.  im telling you guys from experience. the better gear makes hunting easier. the swaro glass is easier on eyes and i dont get headaches from glassing for hours, and the sitka system keeps me warm and dry and that has been a blessing for me to be able to harvest more animals since becoming a 'gear junkie'

i am always looking to upgrade or add to certaing things and willing to sell certain stuff that gets replaced or not needed. keep and eye out this spring for some stuff that'll be for sale

thanks guys, hope this helps. 

i have never been more comfortable hunting.  my

Have to say high roller. I always had to say you get what you pay for. I also don't buy unless I can find a deal. And buy a piece at a time when I can afford it.

Well,I guess I'm a Hobo also......................................except for my boots and scope!!

I must be a high roller when backpacking in on solo hunts.
Good boots
good warm weather proof clothing (Rain & wind)
good optics
good shooting equipment Rifle, Bow
great sleeping bag
good tent  :)

Like most folks, I started from scratch with regard to all the gear required to go full back country archery hunting.  TOTAL HOBO out of the gate. I had a borrowed well worn Fieldline backpack from Walmart. A garage sale frame pack, Walmart boots, used bow bought out of the paper. Unmatched camo most of which was again borrowed or purchased at garage sales.  That first year we had several close encounters with screaming bulls and boy oh boy was the fire lit!

Over the last 5 years I have learned the benefits to buying quality gear and I am slowly acquiring items that would land me in the High Roller category.  But I have done so again buying gear only at discount prices or used.  I watch all the regular discount sites, Craigslist, papers forums etc etc.  one thing I have noticed that others have mentioned here, the good stuff, although expensive, certainly does last longer and out performs the cheap stuff 10 fold.  You don't have to plop down 5 grand in one season to get all the goodies.  Make a list, prioritize and save a little money to upgrade a few things every year.  You won't end up with the very latest of everything but you will store up a cache of quality gear that should serve you well for years to come. 

Have to say high roller but when it comes to camping out I'm definitely a hobo. Usually sleep in my truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back