Arrow Rests

razorback

Mar 11, 2014
I have been using a Ripcord Ace but had nothing but problems with it. It finally gave up the ghost and I bought a new rest that appeared to be well designed and rugged. Turned it would tune so I went with a whisker biscuit. So far it seems to be as accurate as any fall away I\'ve shot and the containment is obviously hard to beat. As of now I don\'t see any drawback to it. For those that have experience with them are there things I should be aware of such as weather conditions or bristles wearing out. I do shoot quite a bit.

RipCord has a wonderful service department. Send it back to them and they will take care of the problem. They sent me a brand new one.

As for the whisker thingy, all I know is they are hard on feathers. Otherwise, OK! Lots of guys swear by them. I always got a kick out of what Bigdan used to say about them. \"They are for girls and beginners\"!

my friends shoot with WB rest. some love them, some dont.

until i get one of them to switch i dont know squat. i want one of them to shoot thru a chrono, do the swap and take a speed check again. in my mind, i cant understand how something dragging against the shaft doesnt rob the arrow of \"some\" speed. how much, i would love to know.

now when i fire an arrow, i want no more input from me on the shaft. IMHO, i think a drop away lets go the shaft and after it leaves the string, it is on it\'s own. a whisker holds it until the fletch clears..i had a buddy that kept dropping is bow arm to see the arrow fly away. with the biscuit it was really exaggerating his follow thru and his arrows kept hitting randomly low.

my experience is just from what i have seen and can be complete and utter BS. :D

Those were exactly some of my reasons for staying away from a wb. I think I shoot decent enough for a wb to not affect my arrow flight though. I have owned some pretty good fall always and still had issues with them. The one thing I like about a wb is no moving parts! It\'s a trade off I guess but the more I shoot the more I prefer simple. Hope this biscuit works out, if not I may just go to a trad bow.

I\'ve heard so many positive things about the WB.
It\'s been used for years and is still being used to this day by many of people, that has to say something.

I use the QAD ultra rest and LOVE it.

I have used a lot of rests and the rest that I always comeback to is the QAD.

As far as the WB goes they will tear up vanes over time and if you are hunting in cold wet conditions the bristles can freeze. Also depending on how you shoot they can have an effect on your arrow flight. If you are shooting a drop away the rest doesn\'t stay in contact with the arrow the entire time like it does with a WB. This would probably go unnoticed out to about 30-35yds but when you start stretching your distance is when you really find out if you have any form or tuning issues. A lot of hunters use them with great success. In the end I think it comes down to a personal preference.

i used a wb for a few years, shot very very well with it. when i changed bows i sent it in to have new strings put on by a top string maker. he said the bow would not tune with the wb so i put a qud ultra on it. it shoots well although no better than the wb. my only grip with the bisquit was if i didnt use blazer vanes they would come off easily. i dont remember ever having a blazer come off. i would go back to a wb without hesitation should i ever need to.

One question I have to ask is maintenance? If your a person who doesn\'t do it a wb is probably better for you though in a year or two you will still most likely need to replace the brushes. In my opinion drop always are more forgiving and work just as well if maintained.

I never touch my drop away. I rub some wax on the pull cord and I\'m done.

let me add. i took some preventative measures. my cord is attached to my \"up\" cable. i used that football clamp (i might be the only one that uses them..and like them). it allows me to spin the cable and keep moving that football to accommodate. i served above the clamp so it cannot pull up. and i served the loop on the other end, so it cant slip. i left extra cord in case i needed to move things.

my rest is the Axiom Pulse and it damn near bombproof. there are tiny letters stamped on the side that says, \"do not lubricate\"...so there is not maint at the actual unit.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

Ripcord emailed me and agreed to replace my rest. I\'ll take them up on their offer but keep shooting the wb for awhile. When I wear the wb out I may put the new Ripcord back on. I\'m curious to see how long the wb lasts as I shoot almost daily.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:

let me add. i took some preventative measures. my cord is attached to my \"up\" cable. i used that football clamp (i might be the only one that uses them..and like them). it allows me to spin the cable and keep moving that football to accommodate. i served above the clamp so it cannot pull up. and i served the loop on the other end, so it cant slip. i left extra cord in case i needed to move things.

my rest is the Axiom Pulse and it damn near bombproof. there are tiny letters stamped on the side that says, \"do not lubricate\"...so there is not maint at the actual unit.

I don\'t think you want to lubricate any of them. that attracts dirt to gum it up but observe activation cord once in a while open side and see if spring is in good shape ect. Ect. You may go years without having to do anything but if pre season you were to catch a spring rusted or something I would order a new one before season because Murphy is alive and well it would probably last another year of shooting at a target but guarunteed to break at an animal of a lifetime!!! That\'s just the way it works

\"Tdiesel\" said:

I don\'t think you want to lubricate any of them. that attracts dirt to gum it up but observe activation cord once in a while open side and see if spring is in good shape ect. Ect. You may go years without having to do anything but if pre season you were to catch a spring rusted or something I would order a new one before season because Murphy is alive and well it would probably last another year of shooting at a target but guarunteed to break at an animal of a lifetime!!! That\'s just the way it works

Right. Couple of turkey seasons ago. I drew back and my trophy taker fell apart. I almost dry fired when the arrow fell off. How I found the parts in my grass lawn was a miracle. I immediately installed my axiom pulse - my backup. It\'s been on ever since. I fixed the TT and now It\'s the spare.

I am not a fan of any of the cable driven rests. They all pale in comparison to limb driven rests with respect to ease of tuning. I shoot a Pro V but if I were buying another right now it would be the Hamskea Hybrid Hunter.

After limb driven rests I would pick a Whisker Biscuit. I have them on both my daughter\'s bows and they are super easy to set up. My oldest daighter, who is 10, can shoot field points, Magnus Buzzcuts and Magnus Bullheads to the same point of impact out of her 34 lb Ruckus.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Limb driven? So actually attached to limb? I could attach mine to limb, but like going to the up cable. Same principle.

Zero torque to cable. Easy to set up w the lack of timing issue

I shot a WB for years and it worked great. Using a Trophy Ridge Revolution now on the latest bow I\'m using. It works fine but not any better than the WB. Something to be said for the total lack of worry. Never lost any fletching either. Just put a drop of fletching cement at the front point of the fletching to arrow junction.

wb is tried and true..... drop aways fail...... which is kinda like riding motorcycle, its not if you will crash, its when will you crash

Limb driven? So actually attached to limb? I could attach mine to limb, but like going to the up cable. Same principle.

Zero torque to cable. Easy to set up w the lack of timing issue

Yes...limb driven. Activation cord is attached to the limb. No timing issues with the rest and it has no effect on the timing of the bow. I have never seen the rest you shoot so I can\'t comment on it but to me any limb driven rest is an up grade over any drop away attached to the down cable. I would also expect the Axion to be an upgrade over any of those rests too as if I am not mistaken it attached to the up cable.

yea.

my bow-tech guy called my rest limb driven..i can hook it to the limbs. but i like the relatively shorter cord by going to the up-cable. i think the goal is to have a slack drop-away cord so nothing is pulled upon (at full draw).

having said that, my best shooting bow was my last SBXT. it had a QAD, and that cord pulled tight..that bow was freaky easy to tune.

I currently shoot a cable driven rest. That said, like Bowfreak I will be purchasing a Hamskea in the near future.

The advantages of a limb driven rest are:

-The arrow stays on the rest longer throughout the launch guiding the arrow longer
- Easier to tune (no timing like cable driven)
- Easier to setup; especially if cable damaged on a hunt (no press needed)

Disadvantages:

- longer cable, easier to snag on underbrush, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back