arrow weight

Codybones

Aug 14, 2013
I have another question for everyone, I'm shooting Easton 340 Arrows with 100 grain broadheads does everyone think that is a good weight for My Elk hunt

What's the actual weight of your entire arrow with the tip? Is that 320 FPS through a chrono with your hunting arrows or just a guess? If you have that information you can go to
http://www.buckmasters.com/portals/0/bm/kineticenergy/kinetic-energy-calculator.html
to find out your Kinetic energy. Then go to
http://www.goldtip.com/calculatorcontent.aspx?coid=1 and it gives you suggestions for how much kinetic energy you should have for different game animals.

Just my personal opinion though, a well placed arrow and you should be fine!

Totally a guess on the fps thats just the info that came with the bow, your right there is going to be a lot of variables, I think I'm going to get as good as I can with this set up and go with it.

Look on the Arrow and find the grn's per inch.
What is the length of your arrow?
Multiply you GPI from the arrow times length of arrow.
Add 100grns for the tip.
Probably add another 15 to 20 grns for your Knock and vanes.

You should have a good idea then. Your state probably has a minimum weight for big game hunting. Also, the FPS on you bow is IBO speeds which are done at 70# so you are shooting somewhere in the 200's depending on the weight of your arrows.

Fullabull said:
Look on the Arrow and find the grn's per inch.
What is the length of your arrow?
Multiply you GPI from the arrow times length of arrow.
Add 100grns for the tip.
Probably add another 15 to 20 grns for your Knock and vanes.

You should have a good idea then. Your state probably has a minimum weight for big game hunting. Also, the FPS on you bow is IBO speeds which are done at 70# so you are shooting somewhere in the 200's depending on the weight of your arrows.
Good stuff here.  I shoot a longer draw length (32 in) so my arrow weight is a bit higher than some.  Kinetic energy at impact is 135.5lbs.  That has equaled complete pass through on my last 5 bulls.

my 26 1/2 inch easton nfused arrows and 125 gr broadhead weigh right around 410gr.

At 65 lb draw I get around 230 fps from an as advertised 320fps  bow.  FYI.

Thanks everyone thats great info, I haven't shot for quite a few years so it is taking some catching up with all the new equipment, I think I have a good baseline to draw from now.

wyoelk300+ said:
Good stuff here.  I shoot a longer draw length (32 in) so my arrow weight is a bit higher than some.  Kinetic energy at impact is 135.5lbs.  That has equaled complete pass through on my last 5 bulls.

Holy man that's a lot of KE!!! What bow do you shoot and how heavy are your arrows? I think that would be enough KE to blow through a hippo haha

So I shoot a 471 grn arrow out of a PSE EVO set at 70# and according to the calculator my arrow travels at 292 FPS and KE is 89#.

http://archerycalculator.com/archery-kinetic-energy-and-momentum-calculator/

I'm shooting a 484 grain arrow, 30 1/2 draw length with a 29" arrow - Injection FMJ (got it as short as possible), doubled up on the inserts to increase weight and ended up with a KE of 87.32 and a FOC of 9.6%, a little lower than a wanted. Been contemplating 125 grain tips to increase FOC and KE, but I'm super happy with how they are flying now and don't want to change things 1 month from the opener.

To the OP, I'd say that's a pretty solid set up, but to increase FOC and your KE, I'd consider a 125 grain broadhead on that arrow for elk hunting. Just my $.02, but certainly you'll kill an elk without going up an extra 25 grains on a well placed shot.

Seems like a lot of guys are shooting a little heavier arrow than I am. 2 year old Bowtech Assassin 70# with a 395 grain arrow im shooting 286fps with a KE of 71. Thinking about going to 65# though before september which puts me down to around 265 fps 62 KE. Is a 390 too light of an arrow for elk or is KE the important measurment

i do not hunt with any less than a 465 gr and i feel light with that 500 plud is what i like . if i can get 260 to 270 fps with that weight it is a thumper as well as u will gain accuracy and quite you're bow with the heaver arrow weight.

^^ elkfever - thanks for your comment. I tweaked my set up and am shooting a 544 grain arrow at 261 f/s and was wondering if it's "too much". I'm stoked for Idaho!

Lots of things to consider when you're setting up an arrow for elk hunting, but I haven't read much in this thread on arrow spine. Getting an arrow that is correctly spined for your bow (weight/draw length, etc) is critical to getting good arrow flight. Good arrow flight is also important to accuracy and penetration.

Another consideration is that your KE is more a function of your bow than your arrows. If your arrow weight goes up, the speed of your arrow goes down. Conversely, if you drop the weight of your arrow, your speed goes up. If nothing else changes on your bow, the change in KE is pretty minimal.

FOC is another valuable factor in good arrow flight and penetration. It can be difficult to get an arrow over 10%, so other considerations might need to be made to get up around 12-13%.

I'm currently shooting Black Eagle Rampage 350 arrows (8.2 gpi) with a 100 grain G5 Striker broadhead. I also added a 56-grain SS half-out to the front of the arrow. With Blazer vanes at 6 grains each and a 4 grain nock, my total arrow weight is at 415 grains. Out of my 68 pound Hoyt Faktor 34, I'm shooting 284 fps and my FOC is at 15%. Calculated KE is 74.34. My previous setup with a 480 grain arrow was shooting 266 fps for a KE of 75.43. My FOC was at 10%. The new set up with lighter arrows has equivalent KE, but in my opinion, flies far better and has better penetration.

Just to give some more input on arrow selections...  ;)

i would agree there are some factors to consider , but with you're wt and speed you should hit like a ton of bricks. i would shoot in hunting conditioned and be sure that you know you're amount of fall for you're shot at each yardage. doing this will help you to understand you're arrow flight so you do not clip a limb that you think you might clear. if you are shooting good groups consistently and you're bow is properly tuned i think you have a set up for a downed elk. and i do agree that foc is important i am at 21 % on mine and i am in good shape. having a foc any lower than that will increase you're down range penetration . but if you ar shooting 50 even 60 then i think that the 20 range is great. just do not plane you're arrows. i like to walk back tune feels tips and broad heads this helps my see a lot of things with my flight. and basic tuning. good luck this year

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back