BA Copper Spur UL2

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
Anyone have the BA Copper Spur UL2?

Most reviews appear to be favorable. The negatives point to an issue in heavy wind. I may be doing more spike camps in September.

For 4 years, I have used a BA Fly Creek UL2. Great tent, however, my older body doesn\'t like the door placement. Despite doing light yoga, I am not that flexible anymore.

The Copper Spur weighs 13 oz more. It has 2 side doors, more vestibule space and 4 more inches of head room. The larger footprint will make it a little more challenging to find a spot to set it up. The Fly Creek UL2 could be setup in a very narrow flat spot. I keep most of my gear inside the tent, including my bow. It is a little challenging to keep my gear inside the Fly Creek.

REI has the Copper Spur UL2 on sale. I would keep both tents for this September. Next year, I could sell my Fly Creek UL2 and get close to the cost of buying the Copper Spur. I wasn\'t going to buy any new gear this year. Then summer comes and my brain starts churning.

This weekend, I am patching my base camping tent. I want it to last another season. It has been getting beat up a bit.

\"mtnmutt\" said:
Anyone have the BA Copper Spur UL2?

Most reviews appear to be favorable. The negatives point to an issue in heavy wind. I may be doing more spike camps in September.

For 4 years, I have used a BA Fly Creek UL2. Great tent, however, my older body doesn\'t like the door placement. Despite doing light yoga, I am not that flexible anymore.

The Copper Spur weighs 13 oz more. It has 2 side doors, more vestibule space and 4 more inches of head room. The larger footprint will make it a little more challenging to find a spot to set it up. The Fly Creek UL2 could be setup in a very narrow flat spot. I keep most of my gear inside the tent, including my bow. It is a little challenging to keep my gear inside the Fly Creek.

REI has the Copper Spur UL2 on sale. I would keep both tents for this September. Next year, I could sell my Fly Creek UL2 and get close to the cost of buying the Copper Spur. I wasn\'t going to buy any new gear this year. Then summer comes and my brain starts churning.

This weekend, I am patching my base camping tent. I want it to last another season. It has been getting beat up a bit.

Sounds way more user friendly...I\'ve been using the Fly Creek for 3 years now. Normally it doesn\'t bother me too much to do the morning crunch routine...I keep my boots just outside the door under the rain fly, so once I shimmy into my clothes, its a \"sit an spin\" operation to get my boots on.
Then I pretty much crawl out on my hands and knees.

But I have to admit, I start to get pretty stiff after a week of elk aerobics.

I leave the bow out, food hoisted up in a tree in a dry bag, and sometimes I\'ll just put my hunting pack under the SLIP System jacked deeply into the ground like a beach umbrella.

The extra headroom would actually be very nice...with the ultralight cot I\'m using this Season, I\'m gonna lose a couple inches. :think:

it\'s a great tent! we run one in the Sierras. my brother has one. the two doors are the best. saves energy getting and out, and it\'s nice not having to climb over anyone.

we were in a big rain storm with wind last year and it was super stable. we did guy it down pretty well. set up is a snap and very intuitive.

i have the FLy creek UL1 and it feels so much more...\"wispy\". set up is less secure and intuitive.

the copper is heavier, but i usually carry the poles and my brother carries the fabric. it is a solid tent.

Thank you both.

Jeff, there is no way I would use my Fly Creek UL2 for a week. Max is 3 nights. I am way too much a wimp for more than 3 nights in it. 3 nights is pushing it for playing twister getting in and out of the tent.

Elky, The Fly Creek UL2 is hard to maximize the space for the foot area. The sides are also a challenge to puff out. Mine has done well in hard frost, snow, heavy rain and heavy wind.

I always guy out all lines and re-tighten them each night. I have had critters chew through my guylines.

I will probably pick it up and try it at home. REI has a very generous return policy. Something like up to a year even if you used it out in the field. The Copper Spur UL2 may be a good backup tent if my car camping tent bites the dust due to pine squirrels.

I wish you entered the fly creek one at the foot of the tent. But you go in head first at the head and have to pivot around. It\'s a yoga move. Namaste!:)

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

I like my Fly Creek. I can sit and warm some breakfast before crawling out in the am. It is much nicer in the rain than the Bivy bag I used before the Fly Creek. I will take the bivy bag for a scouting trip in august. I will only be out 2 nights. I do the crawl in sit and spin move to enter the BA.

here is our CS2. way back in the sierras on a backpack fishing trip. we were 38 miles in at this point.

trout probably never seen a person before..for sure they never seen a chinese person before..i have never caught so much fish in my life. :)

Attachments

• P1000442_2.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 123
Elky, 38 miles, wow!

The BA Copper Spur UL2 is backordered. They ran out of them. It will take 30 days to get one. I don\'t need it until August 26th when I pack my car for opening week.

I will post pictures of the tents side by side when I get the Copper Spur. I am looking forward to the extra room AND no more sit, spin and twist.

I just bought a fly creek 3 tonight off of craigslist. brand new, for almost half off! I haven\'t set it up yet, but it is light!

\"zpd307\" said:
I just bought a fly creek 3 tonight off of craigslist. brand new, for almost half off! I haven\'t set it up yet, but it is light!

Good find Gary. You will be pleased with it. :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back