Back country meals

Clayman56

Mar 31, 2018
I'm trying to pack lighter but get more calories. Any light weight food sources or brands out there with lots of calories for a 7-10 day back country hunt?

Buy a dehydrator for unlimited food/calorie choices. Eliminates the excessive sodium in the commercial products

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dehy foods are a good option, but there is a BIG difference between dehy foods and freeze-dried foods.

Been there, done that

For my extended days in the field, I calculate about 1lb of freeze dried food / day

How do you plan your meals?  If by the day what?s an example?  I?m no healthy foods expert I?m still learning but I?ve found some things that work.  For me the Justin?s peanut butter works, or a similar ?f bomb? great amount of fat and calories in the right way. Also GreenBelly meals, just one pouch or granola bar (pouch has two) are 1/3 of your daily nutrition. The green belly meals are seriously delicious and super filling. You wouldn?t think it but they?ll fill ya up.  And they aren?t dense like a clif bar, they are on the lighter side.

But on the overall side it depends how hard you hunt and how many calories you aim for.  1500-2000 calories to a pound of food weight I believe is a good rule of thumb.  I?m sure someone here knows better or has a better estimate? If so fill me in

Macadamia nuts are great to snack on. I really like the green belly meals for a meal replacement. I like to get electrolyte powder from whom ever to add to my water. Don?t forget about salmon/tuna packets, ramen, and instant mashed potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murf45 said:
Macadamia nuts are great to snack on. I really like the green belly meals for a meal replacement. I like to get electrolyte powder from whom ever to add to my water. Don?t forget about salmon/tuna packets, ramen, and instant mashed potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am so sketched out about taking fish products into Griz country.  I know I KNOW I can pack an animal miles out on my back covered in blood. But for some reason it?s a stupid mental thing. Ha!  It?s like being in water in the middle with dark water you don?t know what?s in there but you know a shark is circling....and it?s a fresh water lake!  Seriously though there is a mental block about bears and fish for me.

ON topic back to food, our local butcher sells bison thuringer and jerky. Some great protein right there!  I try and make my own trail mix from the bulk section at the local grocer too. 

Clayman56 said:
I'm trying to pack lighter but get more calories. Any light weight food sources or brands out there with lots of calories for a 7-10 day back country hunt?

Personally, I would get on backcountryfuelbox.com and order these boxes from Cody Rich.  They are legit, if you are a bivy kinda hunter.  Lightweight, delicious, and high calorie.  Plus, you don't have to shop, you get a box a month if you want. 

planning the food, backpacking or car camping is easily the achilles heel of the entire event for me..i friggen HATE it.

I found this Breakfast drink recipe last year from an article called "Brady Miller's backcountry hunting gear list breakdown" and it's awesome! Tastes a little boring at first, but by the second day I was craving this each morning. I even had a few in the days after my hunt. Just throw the ingredients in a blender and pre-mix them in ziplock bags. One for each morning. Worked great. All you need is a blender bottle and a little water.

Protein powder (Universal Nutrition Real Gains): 3.5 scoops - 601 calories - 52g protein
Hemp seeds: 2 tablespoons - 80 calories - 10.6g protein
Cinnamon: 2 teaspoons - 12 calories - 0.2g protein
Peanut butter powder: PB2 - 2 tablespoons  - 45 calories - 10g protein
Quick oats: 3/4 cup - 225 calories - 7.5g protein
Chia Seeds: 1 tablespoon - 68.5 calories - 4.0g protein

Total breakfast calories: 1,063
Total breakfast calories with MCT oil added: 1,263

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back