Backcountry hammock...

Mr.BowJangles

Jun 11, 2014
Anyone have any luck or input using a packable hammock as a sleeping shelter? Seems like it would be really comfy, but was wondering the what the draw backs would be. Thoughts/experiences would be appreciated!

I have.  The draw is that you are completely uninsulated on all sides so your just hanging out like a piece of meat cooling and loosing heat from everywhere.  And most sleeping bags nowadays have a pad sleeve and aren't insulated on the bottom.  Pretty chilly when I did it in the mountains of montana even in a zero degree in july.

x2 above hennessy hammock is the way i am going they can also be use as a bivy if you dont have two trees

I have a Grand Trunk hammock w/rain fly that works well through early archery season. The one drawback really is the loss of heat from below. I carry a lightweight foam sleeping pad to put under me at night for insulation if I go hammock.

Have a Hennessy as well have only used it camping in south MS  but am using an exercise mat from Walmart and foil backed liner ( the kind for a/c work ) picked it up off a YouTube video and much less expensive than the down under quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best sleeping equipment going once you master it. Buy "The Ultimate Hang" on amazon, it will explain all you need to know, no more sleeping on the downhill or sidehill or root and rock discomfort, as long as you have trees far enough apart. The only way to go!

My brother and I both have Hennessey hammock's.... Expedition model. Yes it's true you can get cold very easy but take care of that and buy a 0° or 20° rated sleeping bag and you will NOT be cold. Do yourself a favor watch a couple of YouTube videos on how to set them up ,my advice would be to make sure it is tight and at least head height. If you have the hammock to loose your back and legs will be arched more and not as comfortable

Just like mentioned earlier read "The Ultimate Hang" website. There's a lot of good info on there, and practice sleeping in it before trying it in the backcountry. Once I get the hammock set up to my liking I put my "wing pad" in the hammock and then my pad. Because you are elevated you are not insulated below and susceptible to the cold you'll need a sleeping pad just like if you were going to lay on the ground. In a hammock the sides will press against the sides of your body that stick out the furthest, i.e. - hips & shoulders. The wing pad is like side runners so that when your sleeping bag gets compressed on the sides & loses its insulation properties the pad acts just like a sleeping pad to keep you warm. Next goes in my sleeping bag. I also bring a bivy bag with me for a few reasons. First, this set up can go to the ground if need be & I stay protected. Secondly, if I come back wet and am shedding my rain gear under the rain tarp I don't have to worry about my bag getting wet & dirty. If your like me and have to hit the head at least once during the night bring a urine bottle with. Getting up & then resituated can sometimes be hassle. Lastly, I put a rain tarp over the set. Last thing I want is to wake in the middle of the night in a down pour. My hammock & rainfly both compress down to the size of softballs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back