Backcountry scent control tips?

EatElk

Dec 31, 2012
I have found wearing nothing but wool helps tremendously and layering down before exertion helps.

Any other tricks out there?

I will pack unscented baby wipes with me to take a bath with and wipe down with...also after going #2 out in the woods.  Have been able to stalk in on animals with wind blowing towards them after a 4-5 day hunt by doing so.  I think changing out camo every day or every other day helps too. If you can, pack some scent spray too.

Other than wipes and merino wool I do nothing in the backcountry. Your not going to fool an elks nose so you have to play the wind. The wipes are so I don't pass out from my own funk.

Most of my hunting is backpacking as well. I'll wash my socks and briefs every couple days if I have a water supply. Wind is king and will always be. I have played around with breathing only through my nose when closing the final distance. I'm not sure if it helps but it cannot hurt. I'm seriously thinking about packing gum to cut down on the smell. 

1. pre-wash hunting clothes in ddw detergent
2. merino wool/garments with silver lining
3. ddw baby wipes
4. a 12oz bottle of ddw is well worth the weight
5. I hike in and out in different clothes than I hunt in.
6. Kill the first day in before I start to stink :)

I would agree with the above!! Something not mentioned is I wear high quality non-microbial underware.. Helps a ton! and prevents any chance of chaffing..
I carry a small bottle of scent free wash and cowboy up in the freezing cold springs!!

I do the same.  wash clothes in ddw, hike in other clothes, then changeand spray myself down and put on ddw deodorant.  It's hard to keep from stinking after the first day but I take off my hunting clothes back at camp and spray myself and use deodorant before hunting.  You usually reek of campfire after the first night anyway.

some unscented baby wipes and i carry some dead down wind spray in a small bottle.  I also use elk waffers to try and kill some of my scent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back