Backcountry sleep systems

ericjoppa

Mar 26, 2018
I?m looking for some input.

I?m trying to get my overall pack weight down for backcountry elk and mule deer hunting. I?m wondering what everyone?s thoughts might be on the right weight, or a good weight, for overall sleep system. That would include Hammock/tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag, pillow, tarp, tiedowns, stakes, etc. Currently I believe I?m about 10 pounds or so

My setup is:
26oz for tent, not including stakes and I don't remember how heavy those are, but I doubt they add to a 1lbs so I'll just say this is 3lbs total
Pad - 1lbs
Bag (I use a 30*, but I run hot so i'm comfortable in that down to 20* without any additional layers) - 2lbs

I personally don't like hammocks as I don't think they're very comfortable and not as practical as a tent with a vestibule. You need an under and over quilt if the temps will drop so it really negates the weight savings imo.

To go super light, I'd use a tarp either Cuben or Sil, and then use a quilt instead of a bag and I bet you'd be sub 5lbs pretty easily.

Elk Noob said:
My setup is:
26oz for tent, not including stakes and I don't remember how heavy those are, but I doubt they add to a 1lbs so I'll just say this is 3lbs total
Pad - 1lbs
Bag (I use a 30*, but I run hot so i'm comfortable in that down to 20* without any additional layers) - 2lbs

I personally don't like hammocks as I don't think they're very comfortable and not as practical as a tent with a vestibule. You need an under and over quilt if the temps will drop so it really negates the weight savings imo.

To go super light, I'd use a tarp either Cuben or Sil, and then use a quilt instead of a bag and I bet you'd be sub 5lbs pretty easily.
Do you happen to have any links to the tent, pad, and bag? Going on an Idaho elk trip mid Sept. and your sleep system sounds like what I'm after.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Tent is the Lightheart Gear Solong 6, if you aren't 6' I'd go with the slightly smaller version. This tent has tons of space for 1, and has a really nice vestibule. It does require hiking poles, but I always have those anyway. It is a single wall, so condensation can be a concern, but I haven't had it too bad. I have had it in some really bad storms and it always does well.

The pad is the Thermarest Neoair Xlite, my only complaint is that it can be kind of krinkly, but overall is super comfortable and very light/small.

Bag is Marmot Hyrdrogen, though i would strongly consider getting an enlightened equipment quilt if you are looking for the lightest, most customize-able option. If I didn't have my 30* bag, I'd be getting the Enlightened Equipment Enigma.

I'll send you a PM with links.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back