Backpacking into remote areas

rose-n-arrows

Dec 29, 2012
Who enjoys the challenge of backpacking into remote areas to hunt?  I'm hooked, but it's definitely a rigorous test of endurance. 

I have backpacked into the eastern back country to turkey and deer hunt several times and loved it.
Every year we have traveled to Colorado, my buddy and I have taken our backpacking gear witht the intent to pack in and hunt. We agree to spend a couple days getting adjusted to the altitude and breathing. Funny thing is, we end up hunting from our base camp each year which has worked out OK. Maybe in 2013 we will do it, it's got to be great.

I have done it periodically, once for 10 days with everything on my back (85 lbs back then).  Now, I do a base camp (read comfortable living) and will spike camp for 1-3 days back in  remote areas, but not the 10-15 miles of years ago.

Try packing in the last couple years but never seems to happen. This year we horse backed in quite a ways and set up a wall tent, but not really sure it counts as backpacking in. Though my partner and I personally didn't have horses so we did hike in and out of the camp a couple times.

Have packed into the backcountry for ten years but have used llamas to get my gear in and then go from there. Have bivied out several times away from our main camp and it is definitely a great way to go and get to places where you do not see anyone for the entire trip. Have spent time in the hospital after returning because of kidney stones blamed on lack of hydration. Need to make sure you have resources for water and take a filter and/or tablets to purify water as it is almost impossible to carry enough water into the backcountry. I have found that it is about as expensive to keep the amount of llamas I had as it is to rent two horses for a one to two week hunt so I have sold them and plan to use horses in the future to get in and out.

Have not yet taken a backcountry backpacking trip but am up to the challenge.  I'm probably starting a little late but the more i hunt the further I want to get away from everyone.

It is a lot of work but worth the experience and reward.  Over the past 5 years my buddy and I have gotten an elk 4 times.

My intentions this past year were to set up a base camp and backpack out as needed, but after shooting a cow on my first morning hunt, I didn't need to.

We used to do it routinely 30 yrs ago and the 3-4 hr pack in an out wasn't the killer.  It was when you get an elk or 2 down and have to go out and in several times with 100+ lb packs.  Great memories though and I may still do it but not quite so far back.

We've backpacked into Montana the last two years on seperate 7-10 day hunts.  We take 3 horses and last year we took 5 llamas in addition to the 3 horses.  Even though we had horses and llamas, I would still consider it backpacking because we carry a lot of gear in our packs and basically hunt from a limited spike camp.  The stock makes it easier for packing out animals but they also require a lot of attention and care throughout the hunt.

The great part is that we are 10-15 miles away from any motorized access so the hunting pressure is minimal.  We've gone 4 for 8 on these hunts but the experience and memories from these hunts have been awesome. 

This is now my preferred style of hunting.  I can't wait for next September!

Bulldown

Car camped multiple times this year. In 2013, I'm planning on some backcountry trips for elk.

Lots of prep and conditioning for me is needed as I was not in the best shape this year.

- Rudy

I havn't had the chance to go after elk yet.  But as a whitetail hunter in Appalachia, typical southeastern whitetail hunting is just not very exciting to me.  I have done several multiday solo backpacking trips in the mountains bowhunting for whitetails.  If you are willing to hike for a day into wilderness areas, you can get to places where the deer have never been hunted and never see people.  Completely unpressured.

The back country is great to hike into especially if you have livestock to help you get your game out. I love not seeing people for days when I'm out hunting.

I see a common theme here. It sounds like most of us enjoy being away from others especially the road traffic and ATV's. I am here to tell you I really enjoy being 4 plus miles back in but I know for sure if you are willing to hike in 1-2 miles most people will not even do that and there are usually plenty of animals in these areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back