Backpacking tents

MT Elk Hunter

Jul 21, 2015
I'm tagged out, but already thinking about next year...need to come up with a lighter weight tent for multi-day backpack hunts. I think I like some of the Tarptents (Moment DW maybe?), but there are a ton of other good tents out there. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I run a Kifaru Megatarp, and a Sawtooth dependent on season and weather. The Megatarp is quite large and light. The Sawtooth is pretty heavy comparatively, but for its size is quite light.

Take a look at the Easton Carbon Kilo. 2 man tent with fly that weighs 2.2 lbs. Bought one a couple weeks ago for my trip next fall. I am 6'3" and there is enough room for me. Plus you can sit upright in it also.

I am running the Kifaru Mega tarp.  I have the annex and a para stove.  The Mega tarp has plenty of room to keep your gear inside and still sleep very comfortable.  I will tell you the mega tarp will take some very bad weather with no issues.  This is now my go to shelter for the mountains.  There are so many differ ways to set the thing up to serve all of your back packing needs.

Glenn

This might be a late post but anyone looking for a lightweight backpacking tent should give Sierra Designs a look.  I used the Lightning 2 FL last summer and loved it.  It rides the line between being ultralight yet still functional.

Seriously love this tent.  You can read my review at www.bylandco.com

http://www.bylandco.com/bylandgearreviews/sierra-designs-lightning-2-fl-review

-Emory

I have the Big Agnes Copper Spurs UL2 & UL4.  We use the UL4 as our family car/raft camping tent.    This thing is sweet and right around 5lbs.  I was always concerned about durability but have never had an issue.  While I've never used my UL2 for backpack hunting,  it's the reason I purchased it.  Trail weight is right around 2.5lbs and way better than a bivy or tarp in my opinion.  Might be tight with two full grown dudes but definitely manageable,  especially at around a pound each!  Have had nothing but great experiences with BA as a whole.

I'm most likely going to go with the MSR freelite 2...I like the Sierra designs but that "open face" looks like it would let in rain if the winds were swirly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Country offered some great ideas with Big Agnes.  I know a lot of folks who run their tents and are very satisfied with them.  They're lightweight and the company has been doing tents for a long time.

Regarding the Sierra Designs "open face."  I was a critic as well until I finally gave it a shot. I've camped in some pretty hard rain and never had an issue at all.  Because every tent maker has vestibules that come all the way to the ground, it's a little hard for us to wrap our brains around it but I'm not kidding when I say it's not an issue at all.  There is still a barrier between you and the outside that can be zipped up all the way if for some reason you need to, but due to the awning feature of the Lightning tent, rain doesn't get in.  I've sat there in a downpour with my feet outside of the tent and not a drop got on me.  It comes down to tent placement.  If you're worried about rain coming in sideways on you, just point the aft end of the into the wind and you're good to go.

I promise if you ever give the tent a shot, you'll never go back to a vestibule that makes you crawl over gear. 

Just my two cents!

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

Have you considered going the hammock route? My ENO Doublenest & Pro Fly come in at 2 1/2lbs & I never have to worry about uneven ground or rain wash. It's not for everyone and if it is a consideration I highly recommend perfecting at home before the backcountry.

byland said:
Big Country offered some great ideas with Big Agnes.  I know a lot of folks who run their tents and are very satisfied with them.  They're lightweight and the company has been doing tents for a long time.

Regarding the Sierra Designs "open face."  I was a critic as well until I finally gave it a shot. I've camped in some pretty hard rain and never had an issue at all.  Because every tent maker has vestibules that come all the way to the ground, it's a little hard for us to wrap our brains around it but I'm not kidding when I say it's not an issue at all.  There is still a barrier between you and the outside that can be zipped up all the way if for some reason you need to, but due to the awning feature of the Lightning tent, rain doesn't get in.  I've sat there in a downpour with my feet outside of the tent and not a drop got on me.  It comes down to tent placement.  If you're worried about rain coming in sideways on you, just point the aft end of the into the wind and you're good to go.

I promise if you ever give the tent a shot, you'll never go back to a vestibule that makes you crawl over gear. 

Just my two cents!

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

Well after this response, ill most likely be in the SD...thank you for the info..if only they had better colors, petty I know

Another great feature of the BA tent is the dual doors and vestibules, another feature that makes functioning as a two person tent possible. 

I'm running the msr hubba. The BAs are great but I'll tear them up, the msr is tougher, heavier yes but I prefer durability. Not knocking theBAs because I love there bags and pads.

Skylar - You'll be glad you did!

Big Country has another great point...the two doors.  If you're in the tent with a friend, this is a great feature.  Lucky for Sierra Designs, they make the Flash series that come in both 2 and 3 man sizes.  Awnings on both sides where the individuals can get in and out of without crawling over each other.  I think if I were going to sleep two in a tent, I'd go with the Flash.  It's a little heavier, but not much and considering the features you get with the two doors, it's worth it.  I've never used the tent, but plan on purchasing the 3 man Flash tent.

Oh..also...the Flash and Lighting series tents from Sierra Designs are built in a way that the body and the tent are one piece.  The pole are on the outside of the tent so no more wrestling a tent fly.  This makes setting up the tent in the rain a nonissue.

Great discussion! 

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

byland said:
Skylar - You'll be glad you did!

Oh..also...the Flash and Lighting series tents from Sierra Designs are built in a way that the body and the tent are one piece.  The pole are on the outside of the tent so no more wrestling a tent fly.  This makes setting up the tent in the rain a nonissue.

Great discussion! 

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

FYI OP, the flash has been floating around steep and cheap a lot lately, could potentially get a sweet deal!  Also true for the BA Copper Spur UL4.

Awesome tip Big Country! 

I need to add the 3 person Flash to my kit so I'll see if I can find iton there.

I never thought I'd like tents so much...

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

I use the HiLight Tent from Black Diamond Equipment. 3.2 pounds and packs down very small. I use my own stuff sack to get it even smaller in the pack. When storing the tent at home i put it back into the stuff sack i received it in. Its a tight 2 person tent or great 1 person with gear tent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back