Base Camp altitude...

Mr.BowJangles

Jun 11, 2014
Hey all! Just curious what features you look for in setting up your base camp, specifically altitude. Do you camp on the ridge tops, or bottom of the valley? I am looking to set up camp in some decent shelter along with a water source near by. Also, how close do you camp to areas you are wanting to hunt? 1/2 mile? I am starting to zero in on an area and doing all the fine tuning to our hike in, camp, and hunting plan.

Thanks and have a great 4th of July weekend. Thank you to all the veterans out there!

I set up camp down low; with the wall tent, horses, a 75yr old camp cook/dad, and everything else involved, it's just easier that way!

I always find the elk up high and therefore set up camp up at their elevation.  Usually look for a saddle or flat protected spot below the ridge.  Proximity to water is critical and glossing is also very important.

Are base camp is about the same elevation. But we hunt any where from 1/2 mile to 3 or 4 miles away. We set base camp off a dirt road. It is 14 miles off the pave road. we are spoiled at our camp. We do have a spike camp in one area we hunt.

It depends, if your a flatlander, I think it is better to set up lower in the 6-7000' range, it gives your body a chance to recover from hunting higher.
I also always set up in a place where I have some protection from the wind, the winds in the Mountains can be 30 to 50 + plus mph at times.

Kevin

I find elk anywhere from 8500 to 11,800 feet. I like to camp at 10,000 ish... in a saddle between ridges away from where the elk feed and bed. Usually hunt within 5 or so miles of camp. I guess you could call our setup more of a spike camp then a base camp.

I will give theobvious; easier to carry elk meat down the mountain than up.....

Base camp down low but pack camps up high..

Camp Hank(home) is 7500'......mesas 8k. Nearby hill's 9-10k....the Gila.
I camp below or @ same elevation as I hunt,and usually within a few miles of camp.
  I rarely hunt downhill.      Too many years of deer hunting and packing in Sierras.

I think we are going to shoot for 10,000' and if it starts to really bother us we will dive down deep. I would rather stay up high to locate elk and make a move from there. We'll just have to pay attention to altitude sickness and maybe not hunt real hard the first couple days and do a lot of glassing to try to locate elk and put together a game plan as things unfold. Thanks for all the responses and advice. I really appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back