Base camp food ideas

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
So I'm doing a little different hunt this year as we are taking a wounded warrior out so we have an outfitter packing us in and setting us up with a wall tent/base camp in the backcountry and he wants to supply us with a stove and food.  I've always done the bivy style/easy prep/freeze dried meals, but the sponsor wants us to eat a little better with our guest so he's asked us to supply a grocery list.

We're going to be doing our own meal prep and clean up, so I don't want foods that require any great production on the cooking/cleaning front, I'm conscious of our scent footprint and I want items that will be easy to store in coolers.  What foods would folks recommend.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Not sure about how much food you can pack by weight, but we have recently been discussing this ourselves. We have always going to the grocery store once in Colorado to get our base camp foods. Here are a few we pick up;

canned beef stew (real easy)
spaghetti and prepared sauce (pretty easy)
sausage dogs mixed in with canned beans (easy)
canned ravioli (real easy)
hotdogs/buns  and chips (easy)
pre-cooked bacon/bologna/pepperjack cheese sandwiches with chips (easy)
chocolate chip cookies
oatmeal cookies
pick-up a couple buckets of cooked chicken and put it in ziplock bags. (real easy)

I like to make a good chicken soup and freeze it in gallon ziplock bags. Thaw it out and plop it in a pot to heat up.  You can do chili that way too but if you want to be scent conscious I recommend leaving out the beans!!  ;)

Without packing coolers canned foods and boxed foods are easy meals.
some we have had are:
-canned chili
-canned beef stew and instant mashed potatoes
-canned chicken and dumplings with stove top stuffing.
-add water pancakes and boxed hash brown potatoes
-canned veggies with each meal.
most meals can be cooked in two pots and cleanup isn't too bad if you have a water source.

Believe it or not, we often like to make pizza in the backcountry.  Pepperoni & mozzarella cheese keep well if not allowed to get TOO warm.  You can repackage the tomato sauce and whatever else you want to throw in it, like onions and olives.  You get those thick crusts in a sealed bag at the store, and just take some care not to destroy them packing in.  Just make your pizza on some aluminum foil, and if you have a fire grate, adjust your heat so you don't burn it up.  It tastes great out in the middle of no where, and is filling too.

We always prepare and freeze  chile and  potato soup, works good to keep the beer cold in the cooler till it is time to eat it. Plus we make baked potato's and throw the left over chile and some cheese for a third supper. But I am thinking that pizza idea sounds good, might have to try it this year. 

I guess it depends if the outfitter is bringing everything in by horse/ mule........ If so, the following won't apply more than likely.  We just buy the frozen bag meals that have pasta, veggies and chicken.  We just store them in the cooler and rip open a bag and heat it up...... Get all the necessary stuff to keep you going.  I used to cook up meals, stews, etc.  but the meals are faster and usually cheaper than I can make it for. 

Frozen zip-lock bags of elk chili, elk pasole, elk stew,and elk spaghetti usually is in the cooler. The frozen foods keep the parishables cold. Some canned goods and MH freeze dried for overnights. I usually come home with food.But have plenty for times someone shows in my camp.

This is my 2013 Elk Camp Memu.
I prep almost everything at home and freeze it, so most of it is real quick and easy.

Dinner

1M                Chili and corn bread         
1T                  Pork, Chop Suey and Rice
1W                Rib eye Steaks and baked potatoes
1TH              Sloppy Joes and Chips
1F                  BQ Ribs with baked potatoes and corn
1S                  Tacos
1Sun              Roast Beef with mashed potatoes gravy and corn                                   
1M                Ham with potatoes and green beans
1T                  Spaghetti and garlic bread
2W                Beef and noodles mashed potatoes and Rolls
2TH              Swiss steak with mashed potatoes gravy and corn                                           
2F                  Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes

Breakfast

French toast and sausage
                          Pancakes and Sausage                                                                               
                          Biscuits and gravy and Hash Browns
                          Scrambled eggs with ham and potatoes
                          Eggs, Bacon and hash browns

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think we have the menu locked down....and I think if I were hunting with bucky you'd have to roll me out of camp.

EricB said:
Bucky, You're making me hungry. Need a huntin partner ? LOL

Eric
It depends on where you are from ?. sometimes I do need a hunting partner, I am from Michigan and I go out west every year for 2 weeks Elk hunting.

Kevin

not good with the food ideas but I want to say it is awesome of you for jumping on the wounded warrior program, We could use a lot more of hunters like us that are not afraid to share our hunting spots and experiences with anybody less fortunate. Thanks Man  Ok one idea we call it stuff, any left over meat, or fresh/pre cooked,bacon, sausage, steak, ham ? cut up in small pieces  cooked with hash browns, onion, peppers or what ever you have with eggs( dried power or real), over the top and topped with salsa . makes good breakfast lunch or dinner 

Bigtex, here's what we do, we make meals like chicken spaghetti, mexican casserole, chili, etc. and put it in vacuum pac bags, usually 2 serving per bag, the outfitter should supply you with a propane stove, we use a large pot and boil water, place the vacuum bags in the boiling pot till its hot, cut it open and divide it between two and throw the bag away, no pans to clean and water left for next time...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back