Basecamp Set up

BT57PA

Apr 16, 2020
First Time to CO so listening and learning we have decided to walk in to our unit and set up a base camp so we can be "fresher' everyday in order to cover ground. My question is where to set up the base camp. We have identified a 4 canyons that we can travel out and back from so should we camp - a few miles from those canyons, one canyon over, base of the canyon we plan to hunt - etc. Pretty open ended question and thinking there will be varied answers but if i don't ask.... Maybe Corey can address this during the next Q&A?
Thanks in advance 

Tough to know based on what you're describing, but I would camp as close as possible to a central location of the areas you want to hunt without disturbing where you think the elk will be.

I have a favorite canyon that I hunt. I like to get right in there and camp up high, close to a spring where I can get water refilled daily. I can wake up and hit glassing spots close by, or I can be on the move bugling down into different finger ridges and drop down into them as needed. I agree that a central location would be ideal as well. Unless you KNOW where the elk are, I wouldn't worry too much about disturbing anything. I've had elk directly downwind/downhill from camp many many times overnight and they are still there in the morning. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back