Bear tags

ahoelzel

Mar 30, 2018
I'd like to tuck a bear tag into my pocket this year as I elk and mullie hunt. Last year I glassed a massive black bear in my unit here in CO. Are most people who opt to have the tag on them doing so in anticipation of seeing a bear on a previous day's gut pile from their harvested elk/deer? Or are they actively pursuing these bears while they elk/deer hunt? Cervids and bear hunts seem drastically different.

We frequently call in bears using cow mews, and about the time we have a tag, none show up.

We call it the ?Bear Repellent Tag?

I?ve sat my elk carcasses but only after 3-4 days as it seems it takes that long for bear to find it.

Then, when they do, it turns out to be a sow & cubs.
Big boars will hit it at night according to my cameras

https://youtu.be/XGF00vD6Qq4

Here's a short video of bear coming into my cow calls while I was in my tree stand - they come fast!

https://youtu.be/8yZ7OEDMOUE

I buy a tag yearly for here in my home state of MT.  If I have the tag I will fill it if the opportunity rises and the pack out isn?t ridiculous. If I plan to bivy in for a killer elk hunt in the high country I will most likely pass up the opportunity or it will be a grizzly and I?ll beat feet outta there.    I have yet to go hunting specifically for bear.  Until this year.  I?m planning to hopefully have enough time for a handful of days here and there to hit the mountains in search of one. 

Any Idaho NR hunters can use a deer tag for any predator.  I think that is a great perk. 

Every year we have multiple opportunities for bear during our elk hunts here in NM. The best years are when we have a great acorn crop. Both the elk and the bears concentrate in the scrub oak when we have acorns and it's probably my favorite hunting. It's thick and when you get in the elk, shots are up close and personal. As far as bears go, we just listen for breaking branches as the bears climb the oak and break the branches to get the food on the ground. They give you great stalking opportunities as they are so preoccupied and making so much noise. The other opportunities come when the bears come into cow calls. Last year, myself and two of my hunting buddies were slowly working through bedding areas in dark timber, cow calling. I had a small bull come sneaking in and shot him at 15 yards. The 3 of us had moved just a few steps to a spot to kick it and give my bull 30 minutes before tracking. It was less than 5 minutes from the time I shot my bull and before we could even sit down, we spotted a bear coming straight to us. At 17 years I cow called to stop the bear and my friend broadsided him. It was unbelievable! A bull elk and a bear within 5 minutes of each other! It was a lot of packing but what a day!

I could have taken several nice bears last fall but the zone I hunt doesn't have a regular season. Control hunt only. Fingers crossed for the draw.

WapitiJoeNM said:
Every year we have multiple opportunities for bear during our elk hunts here in NM. The best years are when we have a great acorn crop. Both the elk and the bears concentrate in the scrub oak when we have acorns and it's probably my favorite hunting. It's thick and when you get in the elk, shots are up close and personal. As far as bears go, we just listen for breaking branches as the bears climb the oak and break the branches to get the food on the ground. They give you great stalking opportunities as they are so preoccupied and making so much noise. The other opportunities come when the bears come into cow calls. Last year, myself and two of my hunting buddies were slowly working through bedding areas in dark timber, cow calling. I had a small bull come sneaking in and shot him at 15 yards. The 3 of us had moved just a few steps to a spot to kick it and give my bull 30 minutes before tracking. It was less than 5 minutes from the time I shot my bull and before we could even sit down, we spotted a bear coming straight to us. At 17 years I cow called to stop the bear and my friend broadsided him. It was unbelievable! A bull elk and a bear within 5 minutes of each other! It was a lot of packing but what a day!

Nice!  :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back