Beginner suggestions for meat

Deadhead

Apr 9, 2020
Hello all, I am likely going elk hunting for the first time later this year or early next year.  I was wondering if it is possible to leave most of the elk meat in muscle form.  I know it will likely be tough, but I just enjoy it much better whole.  Is this a terrible idea?

You can keep the muscle groups (in the silverskin), but you have to get the meat cool, often, quickly.

Getting it deboned, especially if its warm, will allow more surface area (inside or bone side) for the meat to cool.

If its warm and you can't cool the carcas or larger hunts of meat, especially interior or close to the bone, the meat will spoil (or sour).

So, some key variables you need to be concerned about...temp, how long has the meat/animal has laid before recovery, how far you need to pack the animal out, how quick you are at butchering, how you intend to cool, etc...

Ymmv!

If your talking about processing it yourself and freezing the pieces whole than yes you can do that. I do that with my deer meat. That way I can cook it however I want. You can always thaw a piece out and break it down later but you can't put it back together again.

I do as ribo451 does. I cut my loins into chunks large enough for a meal. I can cut the steak thickness when I thaw it depending on how I want it. I can also cook it whole then slice steaks off afterwards. I save a few of the larger muscles from the hams for steaks or roasts too. The rest is ground for burger.

Thanks everyone.  It will likely be pretty cold, so I don't think I will have to worry as much about spoiling.  Is there any part that I wouldn't want to keep whole?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back