beginner

begalske

Sep 3, 2013
I'm a pretty successful whitetail hunter muzz/bow (no rifle season) in Northeast Iowa. I have a dream of going elk hunting. A friend and I have been talking about going elk hunting (what state is TBD) but our knowledge is limited to only Iowa whitetails where our hills wouldn't even be speed bumps in the West. Is it realistic for us to be able to plan a successful DIY bow hunt? We would not be able to come out and do the serious scouting like we can here in Iowa. I'm relatively confident I can identify potential elk locations on a topo map. I guess all I really need to know is what are the odds we can put ourselves on some elk for a shot at a bull (doesn't need to be trophy size, any quality mature bull would be awesome)? Or would it be wise to scratch that idea for our first elk hunt and wait a few more years saving up for a guided trip? We are young, mid-twenties so money is a pretty important factor for us. I'm well aware it would be a few years getting preference points to even draw a good location. Thoughts?

Go for it as soon as you can and as often as you can. I go every chance I can get and have a great time whether I shoot something or not.  I would rather go on several OTC hunts than one paid guided hunt but that's just me.

What ribo451 said... Go every chance you can get.  You can go about every other with a general tag as a non-resident in Wyoming or every year OTC in Colorado.  With guide hunts running at least $5000 per person, you can go several times on your own with that kind of money.  Get on several bowhunting forums (elk101, bowsite etc..) and soak up as much info as you can.  Learn how to call and what tactics to use (elknut and University of Elk Hunting DVDs).  Don't be afraid to ask questions on forums such as this one or send out a private message to get opinions.  There are a lot of guys out there willing to share their knowledge.

Definitely realistic to plan a DIY bow hunt. There is a bit of phone calls, and looking at maps, and internet scouting, talking to game biologists, etc.

I say go for it, I did years and years ago and haven't looked back since. Odds of success depend on the unit you go to, but on average its probably somewhere around 10-15%.

Completely agree with these guys.  I was a beginner this year after chasing blacktail for the first time 2012 season.  Do your homework, look at maps (Google earth and hunt GPS), talk to people and then go for it.  All the while make sure you pick out a fitness plan and stick with it.  Elk hunting in shape will be a whole lot different than Midwest whitetail hunting in shape.  Also become an expert with the weapon of choice (ie wouldn't buy a new gun/bow right before the trip) and spend some money on quality gear tailored for the hunt. Get a good pack and boots.  You don't need to spend $5000 to have a good time and chase elk.  The final thing is to make sure you pick a location that is along the lines of the hunt you want.  And most of all have fun doing it. 

Several states offer over the counter archery tags, so unless you want to accumulate points for a hunt several years down the road then pick a state with OTC tags and go hunting. 

You will never fully understand how to plan an elk hunt until you have some experience hunting elk because you don't really know what to look for.  Study some states unit maps, terrain, success rates then pick one and go.  Learn from the experience make adjustments and hit it again or try a new spot. 

My final piece of advice is to shoot the first legal elk that comes into range.  I guarantee you will not regret going home with a cow or spike or raghorn for your first elk.  After that you can raise your standards if you want to, but as far as I'm concerned, any elk is a good elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back