Best Knife for Field Dressing

CleanSnipe

Dec 28, 2012
My bf just got this Havalon Piranta knife and it's great. We used it recently when field dressing an elk in the Jackson Hole backcountry. He broke a couple of blades and dulled about five blades and was able to change them out with refills.  It's much quicker than sharpening out in the field when time is always of the essence.

The weight and sharpness of the Havalon Piranta are very appealing, but i dont carry a multi-tool for changing blades so the weight advantage disapears This year I used my Case xx ridgeback hunter, it is always in my day pack, but it is kinda heavy,it has a stainless blade, but holds an edge well, and sharpens easily with a small whetstone I carry with me.
I like the durabilty of the ridgeback hunter, but a lighter fixed blade would be a better compromise for me.

I carry a meat hook, the Havalon and a Victorinox Boning knife #40515.  Pretty inexpensive and a dream to debone an elk on the mountain side. 

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 75
I would have to agree with theHavalon knives! They are great for skinning and caping big game. I use them all the time for hunting and for my European mount business. Love 'em!

I have a Havalon also and like it for skinning but I've broken several blades trying to do too much and I would not consider it a great all around field knife....but I do carry it.  My recommendation for the best all around field knife is a Cutco Sportsmans knife with the serrated blade.  I have used it on probably 5 or 6 elk without sharpening it and it stays scarry sharp :eek: !  The only drawback is that you cannot sharpen it yourself and have to send it to the factory due to the unique serration pattern.  That said, I've sent it in once to the factory when we sent all our Cutco knifes in at once to save on shipping $.  I like it so much I've bought one for several hunting buddies.  I have both the fixed blade and a lock-back blade as the fixed is a bit heavier.  So if I'm packing in I bring the lock back to save some weight.  You have to buy them thru their dealers so you can't find them in any stores. The fixed ones are $87 and the lockback is $81 and they are well worth every penny IMO and I'd put them up against any other knife for the best all-around field knife.

Attachments

• 20121228_154034_1.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20121228_153739_1.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 1
the piranta is the only way to go for backcountry hunts where you are carrying most everything on your back...if you have the luxury of distributing the weight with a beast then a couple knives and a sharpener work well...I use a couple buck skinning knives most of the time...

+ on the Havalon...carry extra blades and a second good general purpose knife.
I also carry a pruning/bone saw from Opinel...very light, very sharp.

COLOelkman said:
I have a Havalon also and like it for skinning but I've broken several blades trying to do too much and I would not consider it a great all around field knife....but I do carry it.  My recommendation for the best all around field knife is a Cutco Sportsmans knife with the serrated blade.  I have used it on probably 5 or 6 elk without sharpening it and it stays scarry sharp :eek: !  The only drawback is that you cannot sharpen it yourself and have to send it to the factory due to the unique serration pattern.  That said, I've sent it in once to the factory when we sent all our Cutco knifes in at once to save on shipping $.  I like it so much I've bought one for several hunting buddies.  I have both the fixed blade and a lock-back blade as the fixed is a bit heavier.  So if I'm packing in I bring the lock back to save some weight.  You have to buy them thru their dealers so you can't find them in any stores. The fixed ones are $87 and the lockback is $81 and they are well worth every penny IMO and I'd put them up against any other knife for the best all-around field knife.

I'll agree with you there on those Cutco knives! I used to sell them a long time ago and they are great knives!

I had one of those cutco knives a few years ago. It was awesome. It seperated pelvises and cut through ribcages with ease. I bet I field dressed 25 deer and a few antelope with that knife. My dad used it one time and tore up the serrations. I'd like to get another one someday.

I started using the outdoor edge swingblade. I'm not afraid of trying new knives and this one is the best I have used so far. Deff. going to get the Havalon tho, heard to much good about it!

Been using the Havalon for 7 years now. Hands down best knife I've used for game. Can't beat having razor sharp blades at your disposal! Blades are too cheap not to carry lots of extras around!

I like a Forsner. They are light, inexpensive, and hold an edge really well; even when cutting trough a lot of hair. They are also light if you are worried about weight in your pack.

There are two types of people, the ones that use the Havalon Piranta and the once that will.
I have been using the Piranta for about 5 years now and have one in every pack I own, keep one in my truck and another in my waterfowl blind bag for ducks and geese.

As far as blades go, buy the 100 pack and you'll be set for a long time. I normally can get an elk done with 2 blades.

The piranta is the only way to go. With replacement blades, you are always sharp, almost too sharp some times. Watch your fingers  :) !!!

love the havalon knives.  looking to add a nice boning knife to the collection too, any suggestions other than the victorinox one rockymountainhi mentioned?

I have used the havalon on several Elk but it is just to small for some thing in my opinion.. I also carry a Outdoor Edge folding fillet knife safe to pack and five swipes accros a little fillet knife sharpener and your off and running.. Have field dressed and boned at least 30 big game animals with it.
Good hunting ROb

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back