Best month to scout?

arik1

Dec 13, 2018
Thinking about making a trip out to Idaho before archery season to at least get the lay of the land and get a feel for what I'm working with out there. Question is, when? I plan on hunting the beginning of September. I'm thinking either June, or August. My July days off will he used up on fishing tournaments. I'm leaning towards June, unless there's a reason to go with August.

Between those choices I would definitely go with August. The closer you are to the time you hunt, the better the information will be on where the elk are. Finding elk in June won't really do you any good.

Any time spent is the mountains is time well spent. That said, given your available months, August for sure.

As others have said, August for sure.

Though if you can't make it in August June isn't bad either, it will at the very least give you an idea of the land. I don't know how many times I've used Google Earth to scout an area only to get there and it look completely different than I had anticipated.

Elk Noob said:
As others have said, August for sure.

Though if you can't make it in August June isn't bad either, it will at the very least give you an idea of the land. I don't know how many times I've used Google Earth to scout an area only to get there and it look completely different than I had anticipated.

^^ME TOO! That's honestly my main reason for the trip. Obviously elk sign and elk would be cool to find, but I want to make sure I have a game plan for the actual area, not the images in my head.

I would also say August. Besides what the others have mentioned, you can get an idea of the forage conditions/rainfall and how the habitat is doing through the summer

As it?s been established, you?ll get a better idea of the elk and their patterns during September if you planned your scout nearest to your hunt. An additional thing to consider is access to the area you want to hunt, and the possibility the access may be compromised during fire season. This situation would be less likely in June which would allow you to achieve your minimum scouting goals- lay of the land.

Of those two months I would pick June. I prefer to check new areas as soon as I can get into them with the snow conditions. When I scout for elk I am looking for wallows and rubs that would tell me if they were there during archery season. You can also see if the food they like is growing in the area any time of the year. If I am looking for rubs then I am hoping to find several rubs from several different years. That would tell me that they are often there during September. I usually combine my elk scouting into a shed antler/mushroom hunt and try to cover as much ground as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back