Best way to cook brookies in the back country

americanbwana

Sep 3, 2017
This will be my first year trying to catch and hopefully cook a few trout when scouting.

What is your favorite way to cook fish when away from base camp (Spike / overnight back packing / etc.)?

Wrapped in tin foil. It just takes a couple of minutes to cook in hot coals. I won\'t recommend a specific recipe, because we all have different tastes, and I eat a bland diet. Just flavor like you would at home.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
Wrapped in tin foil. It just takes a couple of minutes to cook in hot coals. I won\'t recommend a specific recipe, because we all have different tastes, and I eat a bland diet. Just flavor like you would at home.

Like Pete said...with butter, garlic salt and pepper! :upthumb:

I recommend the tin foil method. I haven\'t used the stick and fire method before....

Tin foil, butter, onion, garlic, lemon, S&P, and blackening seasoning. I\'ve never seen my kids eat so much fish in their lives.

Maybe a stupid ? But what do you mean cook with a willow limb? We usually take them from the stream to the grease. Wrapped in foil sounds good 2. Have to try that in sept. Only time I get to eat trout is elk season

Nothing beats a frying pan of hot grease. Roll the brookies in corn meal and drop em in, fresh from the stream.

just so you know. those instant idahoan potatos make an awesome breading.

but i liked the tin foil method best. i fold up several squares of the stuff and just distribute it amongst the hikers.

Well I\'m going to try the foil / olive oil method.

Now if I can just keep the elk out of the river long enough to catch something. But that is another post :cool:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->DSCN0352.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]one of my best trips of my life. we were 35 miles in!!

the trout..no doubt never seen an asian dude before..we slayed them!! kinda nice. we found cooking grates and some fry pans stashed.

trout many ways:

Attachments

• DSCN0352.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
  • DSCN0412.JPG
    DSCN0412.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 269
  • DSCN0378.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 269
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->P1000442_2.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->P1000442_2.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

here is a pic at our furthest point in the hike. we went way above treeline and then dropped into a depression in the trees..it looked like moonscape up high.

two lakes. the smaller one..100% fish. every cast. the fish were stunted..but they hit every cast.

Attachments

• P1000442_2.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 248
  • P1000435.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 248

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back