Bino Shopping

ericjoppa

Mar 26, 2018
I am looking to upgrade my Binos. I have a pair of Leupold Makenzie BX-1 binos and have to say, I am disappointed. Not great in low light and seem a little dim even in sunshine. But I only spent $100 (On sale from $275 normally) so I guess I got what I paid for.

Trying to get bang for buck because money is always tight and I want to buy tags more than gear. For under $1000 (much more under) what can I get that will be good? Already decided I will be using 10x42 so that is what I'm shopping for. Open to all brands. Newer to backcountry western hunting so feel free to give me wisdom... 

Welcome to the site Eric!  :welcome:

I would say take a look at Vortex. Even their Diamondback binocs, which are only like $250, are very good. A buddy had them in camp last year and I was amazed at how good the glass was and how solid they were in low light conditions. And when you are going to drop that kind of money on binocs, knowing you have a solid warranty behind the product always helps!

Agree with above. Vortex is the only way i'd go, and i'm using 10x42 Vortex Viper HD's, wish I had the extra coin for the Razor's, but the Vipers are pretty sweet.

Have you compared the viper HD to the Razor HD? is it worth the extra coin or are the Vipers good enough?

Take a look at Swarovski...my buddy has a pair of 8x42 Vortex (no sure which model) and I have 8x42 Swaro ELs...he's upgrading this year after using mine.
I've had mine for 14 years and have never been disappointed!

f16woody said:
Take a look at Swarovski...my buddy has a pair of 8x42 Vortex (no sure which model) and I have 8x42 Swaro ELs...he's upgrading this year after using mine.
I've had mine for 14 years and have never been disappointed!

At $2600 is should hope not! But I have heard great things about Swaro...

ericjoppa said:
Have you compared the viper HD to the Razor HD? is it worth the extra coin or are the Vipers good enough?

It all depends on what you can afford. The Razors are definitely better at low light, but the Vipers do well enough for most. I've been using my Vipers for 4 years now and love them, but if I had the money for the Razors i'd have those.

Get the best glass you can afford. You won't be disappointed with any of the higher end brands. I just like the Vortex warranty which is why I plan on sticking with Vortex for the foreseeable future.

+1 for [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Vortex. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I went Daimondback > Viper > Razor, and lost some money in the process. If you can swing the price point of the Razors, they won't disappoint. As others have said the Viper and DB lines are more than enough glass. Vortex does have special pricing for Mil/LEO/1st Responders if that's an option...[/font]

I looked at the Viper HDs next to the Razor HDs today as well as Nikon Monarch 7s and Nikon Monarch HG at Cabela's. There was some noticeable focus at distance improvement on the viper to Razor jump. the Nikons were negligible. Plus, the Nikon warranty seems much more convoluted than Vortex.

Now the question is, is the distance focus (which was noticeable but not overwhelming) worth the extra $500...

Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back