Bivy Hunt Food Ideas

dukkhnter

Aug 26, 2015
What kind of food items do you guys take on bivy hunts?  Just getting started bivy hunting this year and I have this large list of items I have seen others taking, but always looking for more variety.  Here are some of the items I'm looking at choosing from.

oatmeal
Coffee singles
meal bars
protein bars
Tuna packets/crackers
dried fruit
crackers
PB Jelly or PB/Bacon
Almond butter?
Mountain house
Ramen
Jerky
Trail mix, choc chips
Pro bar cores
small candy bars
Drink mix like gatorade
Granola bars
Nuts
chicken broth cubes
Gum
Garlic pepper
protein powder

Here is some I use hunting. First buy a dehydrator then when you make things at home like
spaggitti sauce take some aluminum foil and make small dishes that will fit in it and put about a cup in each one and dry it and put each cup in a different ziplock bag. When hunting take 1-2 bag roman noodles start noodles but add about a 1/2 cup extra water after it boils add sauce and cook till tender carry some cheese and bread if you want (pumpernickel bread is real good it doesn't spoil easy). (#2) Roman noodles 1-2pks cook add 2 chicken bouillon cubes and 1 med can of chicken meat I like white meat in can boil for about 8 minutes and then eat. When my children were little 6-12 yr old they would ask dad to make that chicken soup like you make in the woods and said dad's it a lot better than the canned stuff. (#3) Take somesmoked sausage and some eggs dice up sausage and fry up in skillet ( I take eggs and put in small container) pour in sausage put in some
EVERGLADE SEASONING -real name its on internet buy it its REAL GOOD. Get a piece of bread and have a feast. Make some sausage gravy and freeze it wrap in a rag and inside a ziplock double bagged) and eat it first (warm in pot slow U might have to add a little water to thin it) eat with some bread. These will make your hunt a lot better. If you want some more just PM me. Thanks Dt in East TN.  Eph.3:20 ;
1st. Kings 21:3

Instead of the prepackaged dried foods, whenever there are leftovers of a casserole/stew/pasta dish, I throw it in the dehydrator. From Dec-April, averaging a meal or two a week, I have accumulated a diverse menu of backpacking meals that I know taste great and have no unnecessary additives or ingredients. My guilty pleasures of a trail snack are homemade protein bars (a recipe I found on this forum) and my personal trail mix with various dried fruits and assorted nuts. They are guilty pleasures because they weigh more than my dehydrated meals that a 3-4 times the portion size. I also like to include a pound or so of jerky.

Good list so far Dukkhunter. I misspent my youth rock climbing and when it comes to food that you have to carry or haul up a rock, think calories per pound. This means high fat such as nuts and candy bars. Don't worry about the fat, you will burning it off. And no need to go all high end and pricey, just read the labels. A Snickers bar has 240 calories while a granola bar might have 140.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back