Bivy hunt

whtelk

Jan 2, 2013
I have bivy hunted, staying with the elk for several days. Any one do this? can't get within range or back out to just sleep with the herd? slept on steep hill sides and marsh bottoms...solo... you?

Have done it a couple times and would be happy to do it more often but will need to gear up a little better. Definitely the way to go to stay close to the animals and save on energy when having to hike back to a base camp.

Done it for the last 8-10 years until last year. Last season we set up a base camp and hunted out of there. We knew where several elk herds were and could hunt 10-12 away from camp in every direction. I have to say there are advantages and disadvantages to both bivy and base camp.

My little one man bivy tent makes me feel like a bear burrito some times... LOL. Still amazes me the sounds one will hear at night when doing a solo hunt.

This is one of my hope to do it real soon topics.  The wife really has a problem with it though.  She doesn't want me out there by myself, and I can't find anyone willing to join me.  They are either to lazy or I don't think I could tolerate them for that amount of time ;D

When you guys say bivy are you in a small tube type tent or an envelope type cover?
I am interested in the envelope style, but I suppose you are watching the weather to see if storms are coming?

nclonghunter said:
When you guys say bivy are you in a small tube type tent or an envelope type cover?
I am interested in the envelope style, but I suppose you are watching the weather to see if storms are coming?

well bivy typically means without a tent.  used to be just a waterproof cover for your sleeping bag maybe with a bug net. but now there are several companies making bivy shelters which is just poles and a rain fly.  I have been considering one of these.  I currently have an msr hubba one man but I am always looking for a way to cut weight.  I like the tent to keep the bugs out but i have thought about just using the poles and the rain fly.

when you say envelope do you mean like a pup tent style shelter?

Envelope to me is just a sack that you would pull over your sleeping bag. I bought a camo military "bivy bag" that zips down the side and it pretty much is like a sleeping bag. I keep seeing these tube tents now that are being called bivy tents, that have poles and such.
The real reason was to ask about the sweating and moisture in a bivy sack, if that is what's being used. I have read that moisture is a big problem in a bivy bag from condensation.
The "bivy tents" have ventilation and bug screens installed.

nclonghunter said:
Envelope to me is just a sack that you would pull over your sleeping bag. I bought a camo military "bivy bag" that zips down the side and it pretty much is like a sleeping bag. I keep seeing these tube tents now that are being called bivy tents, that have poles and such.
The real reason was to ask about the sweating and moisture in a bivy sack, if that is what's being used. I have read that moisture is a big problem in a bivy bag from condensation.
The "bivy tents" have ventilation and bug screens installed.

oh yeah I know what you're talking about never mind.  Its like a mini tent just big enough for a sleeping bag. 

yeah that's the issue with a bivy is that the consdensation builds on the inside of the sack, so you probly wouldn't want to use a down bag.  I wanna say i read that they also make an extra layer bag to block the condensation

I have always hunted from a base camp, but this year I am gearing up for a bivy hunt. I have always wanted to do a bivy hunt and this year made a new friend at work that only bivy hunts, so this will be AWESOME. I am looking for suggestions on gear. I have looked at the military surplus, but as mentioned previously am concerned with condesation. I will be hunting the higher elevations in washington state.

My buddy and I do this every year. We just throw our backpacks on and wander for a week and a half. Its great cause we are always in elk.

MT Mullies, I do not mean to change this post, but I would really like to know what you guys carry for those hunts. You might even start another thread or just send me a personal message...Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back