Blind calling or response calling?

Jimbow65

Dec 28, 2012
For those with more experience, do you prefer blind calling blind either cow calls or bugles to try to get a response, or only call in response to elk bugles or sightings?

Response is always more fun, but your passing bulls if you don't try when there's no response especially early in the season.

I call all the time, that way if I'm walking a break a branch or kick a rock or something I can call and try to cover up my mistake. I like to bugle just to see if I can get a response. But usually I'm cow calling when I set up. I will throw in a bugle every now and then. Early season is big for calling, but be patient cause alot of times they come in silent. I have called for 20-40 and nothing will happen and no response from anything so I will pull out a snack and start eating it and after 15 min of sitting an elk will show up from nowhere.

It all depends on what is going on at the time. If i dont have any bulls bugling and im not sure where they are at, I like to drive around and at every draw and cow call and bugle until i get a response.  Once i get a response i get my gear on and head on in and cow call while im walking that in case i make a lot of noise but once im close enough i dont call too much because i dont want to give my exact position away.  But every hunter is different and everyone has different tactics.

I use any method that works, Elk are fickle and some times only respond to certain sounds, it's out job to find what the elk want to hear any particular day. That is why it gets fun to try even strange things, you might be surprised at the response you get.

I prefer to bugle for a response,but when the bulls are silent we do a lot of cold call set ups,i killed my bull last year on a cold call setup,after 6-8 setups in a mile or so,it was my partners turn to call,after 15-20 mins the bull popped out of the heavy brush,fed,then turned down the trail headed to my partners calls (cow) i killed him at 5 yards as he walked by me.You have to be willing to try anything in your bag of tricks.

MT_mulies said:
I call all the time, that way if I'm walking a break a branch or kick a rock or something I can call and try to cover up my mistake. I like to bugle just to see if I can get a response. But usually I'm cow calling when I set up. I will throw in a bugle every now and then. Early season is big for calling, but be patient cause alot of times they come in silent. I have called for 20-40 and nothing will happen and no response from anything so I will pull out a snack and start eating it and after 15 min of sitting an elk will show up from nowhere.

I do the same thing when bulls are quiet!  :D  If the elk aren't being vocal I start "trolling for bulls". WHERE you set up is very key to success. Setting up in areas where there is a ton of elk sign or near a bedding area has worked best for me. You must also call with the wind in your favor of the expected travel route the elk may come from.

Here is an Elk101 article from 2010:
http://elk101.com/2010/01/trolling-for-bulls-archery-elk-hunting/

Early season is a great time to call and see what shows up, you'll be amazed at how these huge animals will sneak in on you!  Don't call unless you can get ready to shoot quickly.  I've made the mistake a few times of not being ready after calling and had a shot opportunity blown cuz I didn't have an arrow nocked...be READY!!

years ago I only called in response ,I have since found I have way better luck If I push them some.A bull may not respond for a long time but Eventualy he will get mad enough that he will come looking.Also depending on time of the season.

radmansciteach said:
Early season is a great time to call and see what shows up, you'll be amazed at how these huge animals will sneak in on you!  Don't call unless you can get ready to shoot quickly.  I've made the mistake a few times of not being ready after calling and had a shot opportunity blown cuz I didn't have an arrow nocked...be READY!!

I'll second that!  Still kicking myself for all the times I've been caught with my pants down  during early season hunts.  Damn elk are like ninjas.

"It all depends on what is going on at the time. If i dont have any bulls bugling and im not sure where they are at, I like to drive around and at every draw and cow call and bugle until i get a response.  Once i get a response i get my gear on and head on in and cow call while im walking that in case i make a lot of noise but once im close enough i dont call too much because i dont want to give my exact position away.  But every hunter is different and everyone has different tactics."

I've had success doing this method as well.  When unfamiliar with the area or locating it can be a low impact method to get the job done.  Got in on a 6x7 last year with this method.  my dad ended up taking the shot but missed low on an uphill shot.  Not a bad method if covering big area with road access.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back