boots and customer service?

md126

Feb 1, 2013
Hello all,  I am getting prepared for an elk hunt in CO and am in the market for quality boots. So far i've looked at Zamberlan, Scarpa, Lowa, Kenetrek, Crispi, Meindl Perfekt's, Schnee's, Asolo, etc..  All seem like quality well made boots but which has the best, or worst, customer service?  To me that's the thing I value most, particulary with an item as unique to the buyer as boots. I don't mind spending the $$ but would like to know I have support if I need it.
Please share some of your good/bad experiences. If you don't want to bad mouth anyone in the public forum please PM me.

Thanks,  Mike

Been wearing Meindel Ibex for 12 years don't know if Cabellas still has them.Tore the back hinge and Cabellas sent me a new pair,also told me not to tighten hinge so much.

Have Kenetrek Grizzly pack boots for cold/wet weather.Excellent boot,hikes like a hunt boot. Pulled a D-ring and they fixed them.

If you're looking for a great archery/early rifle boot (because it lacks insulation) I started using the Under Armour Speed Freak last year.  I put a lot of miles on this boot last year over the course of a 10 day hunt and didn't have much time to speak of to break it in.  The fit is like a trail running shoe so it has a tight and light feeling.  No blisters and no major wear issues to speak of so it'll get the full brunt of an antelope/deer/elk season again this fall.  There are some different patterns available too.  As a plus, if you pack in or hunt horseback, the boot slips in and out of stirrups with ease.

Thanks for the report wyoelk300+. 

I was looking at the Speed Freak but held off buying them because of some users having issues with the boot not being 100% waterproof and leaking.  One user exchange the first pair after they leaked for a second pair thinking they were defective. He stated the second pair leaked just as bad.

Have you had any issues at all? How old are your boots? I'm wondering if quality control went down hill after they started having them made in China.

ghost

I bought them last summer.  I didn't have any issues with regular conditions (creek crossings, morning dew, rain) and leakage.  I did however go in a creek over my knees and filled them with water one morning.  Hip waders would've been the only solution that day for dry feet.  On the plus side the boots only needed an afternoon in the sun to dry and I was able to hunt dry and comfortable that evening.

ghost,

I'd strongly recommend getting a hold of Stephen at Lathrop and Sons boots. They sell Zamberlan, Lowa, Solomon, etc., but more importantly, they take the time to get you in the right boot and make sure it works for you. They aren't just boot salesmen, they are professional boot fitters. I spent several years looking for a quality boot that would fit my goofy feet and until I found Lathrop and Sons, nothing had worked.

I agree 100% with Corey.  Stephen at Lathrop and Sons is a top notch boot guru!  Personally have always loved my Lowas.  I have owned 12-15 pairs with not one issue.  I have used Superfeet insoles in mine for numerous years and am anxiously waiting my custom Lathrop and Sons inserts, along with a new pair of Hanwag Alaskans.

I was given a pair of Mendel Canadians 2yrs. ago for a tip from one of my client.
I've been through three pairs because the all leaked!  Finally took back to Crapbellas and they would only give me a gift card.  Why?  I guess so I could by more of their over priced overrated crap.
KENNETREK ALL THE WAY

Thanks gents, looks like I'll be calling Stephen @ Lathrop and Sons soon, very soon.

Back