Born and Raised Outdoors

bvillebeaver

Aug 25, 2017
Watched the Land Of the Free on U tube. Anyone else bugle as often as these guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On one trip I was 6 days in elk hunting with slow action. After another slow morning I had spotted only a 3pt bull elk half way up a mountain with 5 cows that acted like he was boss. Its 6pt minimum in that area.

I started walking back to basecamp at 10:30am and thinking about taking a nap, doubt had begun to creep in. I had in my pack some whiskey in case of celebration. I decided to have a shot of whiskey for the walk back. It was then I thought - to hell with it... im going to bugle my ass off all the way to camp. I stopped and bugled every 2 - 3 minutes and continued walking. At least its good practice. For the first while the 3 pt would answer.

Suddenly at about 11:00am I heard another bugle from another ridge. Then another bugle far off in front. WTH!! ... so I continued bugling and had 2 bulls interested. About 11:45am I got my elk.

That is the only time it has worked like that for me but it does have its place. It seems more often than not if I overdo it I lose ground on bulls. My calling is decent but not great.

I think they have a good game plan for big areas with fewer hunters and where you can cover a lot of ground relatively quickly. The theory of moving from setup to setup and not stressing about screwing it up only holds up if you have a lot of days to hunt each year. Other areas or limited time frames require a bit more depth in my opinion, like using cow calls effectively and being very patient.

All that being said I?m enjoying their series and learning a lot. It?s definitely inspired me to put together a more mobile game plan in my unit to hopefully get some better action on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted Utah last year and the unit we were in I was told the Elk were "call shy" so a bugle would send them away. Too pressured, etc. Our last day they were going nuts and responding and I left my calls at the truck...  :(

I watched their series and them and Corey say all the time, "I just need one that wants to play our game."

This year Im going to bugle my socks off.

I generally don't bugle that often but it does seem like the area that I hunt the elk are generally tight lipped.  You have to be right on them to get a bugle.  I think hunting pressure in my area has a major effect.  So, since the elk are quiet, I am too.

I've been hunting elk for 4 years now. As a new hunter, I always struggled with seeing people call them in on shows (which may be in ranches/low pressured units or public land, who knows) and be told the complete opposite while in the field with my hunting buddies. Because of this, the only time I used my calls was driving in my truck for practice with the windows up. Strangely I wasn't able to call any in. This last year I finally started calling and will continue to. I agree with others that blasting off constantly isn't the one and done every time solution. especially if they are being active and you can sneak in. At the same time, if you're already not seeing anything or what you are encountering is out of your realistic reach, using calls will either bring them in/locate or they will stay as they are, aka out of range.

One thing I picked up from Chris Roe?s stuff is how to use the cow call for an assembly mew if the bull is younger or already has cows with him that keep moving away as you bugle with him. You have to be fairly close to pull them to you and away from their cows but it could be a good alternative when they just won?t come in to a bugle.

I wore out a new diaphram in 6 days of hunting Wyoming last September, Ive never bugled so much as I did that week.

But, we were a little late as the bulls were cow'd up and all they would do is answer but not engage

Yes - Without a location bugle and response it is difficult to know if you are in the same  zip code as an elk even in a limited entry unit.  It is very nice when the elk are self locating to allow you to judge / anticipate the wind and make an attack plan.  I find difficulty in judging the appropriate "red zone" distance to set-up and run the game plan.

bvillebeaver said:
Watched the Land Of the Free on U tube. Anyone else bugle as often as these guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I haven?t ever bugled as much as the bro crew. Also I?m not as successful so I?m switching to there methods lol

All said and done, there were some good lessons to be learned and some bad ones as well. 

I would watch episode 16 again... 

the wyoming part of that series has some of the best calling set ups you could have ever caught on camera in my opinion..  from dirks bull to coreys, then to donnies which was pulled across a meadow in the afternoon!!  then the finale with trents bull  classic sling shot method between corey and dirk    anyone not taking notes while watching those episodes missed out      this wasnt the exception in my opinion due to low pressure or the unit they were in..  they filled tags the previous year as well..  the project was awesome all in all but i struggled through some of the rest.. (still was badass elk hunting footage that kept my attention) Seems like they showed up to wyoming to execute a plan and they did    other states it kinda seemed a little less methodical    and when considering an out of state hunt i think thats how it should be taken on  methodical and down to business    having fun will come with the success

What the Elk 101 guys were better?  Kiss up HEHEHE!  There is a definite level of experience a notch or two above BRO.  Not a knock on them at all- they are self taught and doing what has worked for them.  You gotta love that they are willing to go out and put themselves out there and give much effort into that big of a project for every ones enjoyment. My hats off to them, and their families that is a huge sacrifice all around.

i completely agree with you on your opinion on the BRO crew  .. when i first came upon them and i would send a video to a friend or tell someone about them, the way i would describe them was " hey here is a bunch of guys that are normal and get out there, make mistakes, bugle ALOT! and hike all over creation.."  seemed like pretty natural and relatable content..  ha kiss up...  ha ha ha  seriously wyoming was the best part of that series IMO  dam right the elk101 guys were better..    :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:  and the BRO crew now are better because of it.. along with all of us that got watch it   

Been watching the brO crew for years, they do a great job.  The only thing I dislike about them came to light in Wyoming. IMHO they have almost exactly the same strategies as elk101, just differed in the ?closing the deal? department. Corey, Donnie, and dirk are cold blooded killers when the elk is coming in. The elk owes them money and they are there to collect. They are predators. Fun to them is putting an elk on the ground, period.

BRO make awesome videos and I truly look forward to land of the free 2.0.awesome camp life, lotta laughs, high fives, hugging and tight knit relationships.  I just wished they weren?t so emotional during those moments of truth! I know they get flack for hugging and crying too much. Both crews are awesome, but I run with the preds...

Also have to remember that every state and every type of country calls for different tactics as far as set ups or calling goes. I have some family friends that hunt elk out of tree stands every year in eastern Oregon and have never once called. They kill elk every year. I think the BRO guys have done their do diligence throughout the years and know what type of country their hiking into (like a runner would have a route memorized) and they run their playbook that is specified to that area during that season. Notice how their tactics fell somewhat short in Idaho and Montana. End the end I think its important to be well versed in all areas. Be the best caller, be the best stalker, be the best shooter you can be.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back