Bottom of the 9th Turkey Hunt

Congrats, Will! Beautiful bird. Unreal you found him in that ditch full of water!

Of all the shots I\'ve taken on turkeys, the frontal is always the one that has given me problems with similar results to yours and I\'m not sure exactly why. I\'ve never lost one yet to that shot but the two or three I\'ve shot in that position ended up with slow dying, hard to find birds. I\'m thinking because I\'m aiming too low when they are facing me. What did you find in the post-mortem exam?

great story and outcome... finding a monster shed was a bonus and then doubling down with finding the dead bird and lost call before heading out! Congrats on the mountain bird.

Thanks guys!

Nick, not sure exact vitals but his liver fell out when I pick d him up as well as a ton of coagulated blood. Liver was wrecked but heart, lungs and guts were not hit. Arrow entered right between the breasts and exited through the left drum stick. The big mistake was chasing him. I think he\'d have died within sight had I stayed put.

Nice work Will. I had a similar experience this year in NE, only didn\'t find mine :( Felt good about the hit, and he left a sizable blood pool for a turkey in my opinion. I went after him as well, since I have heard tracking a turkey can be difficult at best. He was laying under a juniper and took off flying when I got close... Circled for hours to no avail. Not sure which way he went and it was some thick stuff with tall grass. Lessons learned - first time turkey hunting with a bow!

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->0401161706.pdf<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• 0401161706.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back