Bow Release

Shuler08

Sep 11, 2017
Whats the thought on using a Hinge/Back Tension release for hunting? Or does everybody use either a index or thumb release?

Let me preface this with the fact that I just took up archery a year and a half ago after being a longtime rifle hunter. And although I've taken a turkey and multiple small game animals with my bow, I haven't shot a big game animal yet.

With that being said, I use a thumb release with back tension. The biggest thing I have heard people say about back tension is you can't shoot as quick as someone who just pulls the trigger. In my opinion, if you practice back tension enough, you can be just as fast. Shooting with back tension is the way I've focused on since day one and it is just as quick for me to shoot that way than pulling the trigger.

Just my two cents!

I shoot a thumb with back tension. It has never been responsible for costing me a deer. Quite the contrary....once I settled on this style of release I have become super deadly on game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've shot a Scott Mongoose ever since they came out in the mid 90s. Lay your finger on the trigger and pull through with back tension. Works like a charm and I can "punch" it if needed.

I'm going to try switching to a thumb (no back tension) over the off season. I just haven't shot a trigger as well as I used to. I've toyed with a number of different release in the higher price points and haven't been overly impressed.

I picked up a buddies thumb recently and really felt good again. I'll at least give it a try for next season.

backcountry_hunter said:
I'm going to try switching to a thumb (no back tension) over the off season. I just haven't shot a trigger as well as I used to. I've toyed with a number of different release in the higher price points and haven't been overly impressed.

I picked up a buddies thumb recently and really felt good again. I'll at least give it a try for next season.
I would reconsider "not shooting with back tension."  If you are having issues  with an index finger release (punching) it's a matter of time before you punch the thumb. Yes...it is harder to punch with your thumb but if you shoot by simply squeezing your thumb you have a real good chance of punching it if you currently have that issue with an index finger release. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For years I only used an index trigger and punched. I switched to a hinge and became a much better shot. I have actually hunted with a hinge and killed some deer with a hinge as well. I have found for convenience I still prefer an index for hunting though. Two index releases that allow me to set heavy and execute my shot using BT are a Scott Rhino XT and a Truball Execute. I have both on the nylon connector and find them to be nearly as accurate as my Truball Fulkrum.

I'd really like to try a back tension thumb release but those prices are no joke. For now I'll stick to what I know, but it is on my list of things to try sooner than later.

If anybody has one they're looking to part with - gimme a holler!

i bet i have the oldest release here.  it is some long forgotten name, truBALL.  i have two of them.  (just in case).  i am screwed if both of them break.

when i bought my lastest bow, i wanted an ELITE.  the closest dealer was in Gilroy, CA.  famous for their garlic, GILROY.  it was a long drive.  i was standing at the door when the owner unlocked it.  i got there first.  he took the time and set my bow up for me.

then he said, "hey, every new bow sale comes with three free shooting lessons"  i fancy myself as a know it all, and declined.  he hit me with logic.."you drove all the way here.."

okay..i took a lesson right there from the resident shooting coach.  he watched me shoot a few shots.  i didnt miss.  he asked me, "wtf is up with that trigger punch of yours!"  he then went on to explain using back tension to pull that same trigger.  what a game changer!!  i got more consistent in accuracy.  he got all sciencey and explained how the human brain cannot do multi tasking.  aiming  and puling the trigger is not easy on the brain..not when we add "pulling".  it all got weird, but he was right.  where it really shined was long distance shooting.  it got much much better.  it didnt really help much at 20 yards, but at 80..yes!!

cohunter14 said:
What TruBall release do you have Cliff? I use their Fang 4.

i think it was called the Tornado.  that sound right?  just googled it..yup.  Tornado.

i couldnt remember the name until you asked..it just poof! into my brain.

i got it in 2007.

for those of you that hunt with a trigger and practice with a hinge, how do you get them set up to have the same "draw length"  I know the length isn't changing, but my draw feels more comfortable with a trigger than with the sweetspot I just picked up.

Everything is the same for my index and hinge. My hinge is adjustable and I have my index on a Scott buckle with the strap connector. I have it really short so I can put the trigger in my second joint.

I used a Carter back tension release to shoot my 2nd bull. It helped completely resolve for good a target panic problem I had 

I'm new to archery and will be trying as many releases as possible.
I like the info given in this article:

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/a-breakdown-of-different-archery-release-aids

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back