bow setup question

cwade3085

Mar 30, 2015
hey guys im new to the forum. been lurking for a while now and decided to jump aboard. ive been wanting to wanting to go on an elk hunt for the past 15 years and this fall i am finially able to do so. ive been talking to a buddy of mine (one im going out west with, he also sets up my bow) about my achery setup. he tells me why change with whats working right now, and all that matters is shot placement. to a point i agree but i want to get somewhat maximum effectiveness with speed, ke, momentum and penitration. ive ready just about everyone suggests 400-450 minimum grain arrow. with that said here is what i got.
Hoyt Katera 60# (maxed out 62#) , 28" draw with z3 cam and 1/2, arrows are carbon express maxima hunter 350 26" ( aprox 370 grains with 100grain broad head).
what i was thinking  was getting 70# limbs, and changing to 125 grain broadhead at least. but was also looking at the easton axis camo arrows. to get a little more gpi to make a little heavier arrow to get into the 400-450 grain range. wondering what yalls thoughts were. thank you in advance

welcome to the site ask anything you wish, sounds like you are on the right track you could just increase your foc by switching to 125 and leaving every thing the same as is 70 lbs with full cold weather gear can be a mother to get back food for thought

Max your bow out, it will shot better. I agree with changing to a good solid 125 head. I prefer COC but don't want to start that discussion on here. Shot shot and then shot some more. Get in the best shape you can. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys. I've been planning on 125g  COC bh was looking into the g5 Montecs to get a little more foc. I have been shooting
Rage 2 blade chisel tip 100g. And got a little frustrated with them. Shot 3 whitetails last year and 2 of the 3 rages bent the ferrules.

Spotnstalk how do you like the easton axis arrows.

Your arrows are fine. Move away from the Rage please. Montecs, Stinger and Solids are great heads. A lot of guys shoot Slick Tricks, I never have. You've got a great setup with some new heads.

yea im doing away with the Rage after destroying 2 of them last year and only getting 1 shot on each. left a bad taste in my mouth with them. my buddy also destroyed 2 or 3 of them last year. im going with Montecs i think. have a couple good friends that use them, they love them and have great success with them.

Welcome!  I'll stay out of the broadhead debate aside from saying I also shoot fixed blades. If you go up to 70lbs and a 125g head you may consider going with a lil' stiffer spine. Whatever you choose accuracy is most important - what you can draw, hold and shoot most comfortably and confidently.

These are my two current setups @ 70lb/29"DL

Easton Axis 340, 100g head, 426g total @ 285fps
Easton Axis 300, 50g brass insert, 100g head, 507g total @ 265fps

Both have sufficient KE, but my preference is now the heavier arrow, really quiets the bow down and bucks the wind  :D

If your comfortable with your current poundage and arrow I say stick with it and use a good cut on contact head like a DirtNap Gear DRT. Stick to broad side shots and you should be fine. Make sure your bow is tuned good so you can take advantage of all the penetration you can get, and make sure to practice with your broadheads. Good luck, welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Ruttin on this one. Don't change a thing except go with a sharp COC head. Removable blades for a 3 blade seem to be the sharpest for me. Whatever 2 blade you choose will kill them. Wouldn't recommend mechanical unless you make the changes you were proposing. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back