Bow upgrade?

Elk crazy

Apr 12, 2015
I currently hunt with a diamond razor edge bow, is it really worth the $ to upgrade to a higherend bow like the carbon knight or used Hoyt carbon bow? I like the razor, the compact size and light weight, and was all I could afford at the time, it's set at 65lbs and 29" draw so are the "full size" high end bows that much better? Thanks for any info and or any advice.

Only you can answer this question? But, although a newer bow might offer more speed, if you can shoot this bow well shot after shot at all distances you typically shoot, why upgrade? I have a D340 and  Diamond Fugitive that I can drive tacks with to 70 yards, so in spite of being 4 and 5 years old, I ain't spending 1000 bucks for a new bow.

Thanks for the reply. Probly don't need a new bow, just that the razor was so much better than my old bow (29 year old Martin) that it made me wonder if the high end bows are even that much better or if your mostly paying for name and hype. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot them. Was just wondering if someone who has experience with newer high end bows and lower cost low end bows could tell me if they thought the differance was worth the extra $.

You will definetly gain some performance if you decide to pick up a newer bow. The Razor Edge is a great bow, but you are going to have to sacrifice somethings if you want a bow as versatile as the Edge. I would shoot some bows and see what feels good. Like said before, if you are comfortable withit, and you can effectively take down game with it, ask yourself what it is exactly that you are looking for it you decided to upgrade. In the end, I doubt you will be disappointed if you get a newer bow. Just spend some time researching them and put your new bow thru the paces and you should be just as comfortable, if not more, than you are with the Razor Edge. Good luck on your decision! Lots of good used bows can be picked up on Archerytalk.com this time of year.

If you are on a budget find yourself a used Bowtech Invasion.  I have one and I love it. Bowtech seems to always be ahead in the technology game. Just my 2 cents.

Ok thanks, I do like bowtech bows (the ones I have seen). I will have to see if I can find a Invasion to try out. To be honest though after shooting more this spring I'll probably stick with my razor edge for now, it shoots well and I'm comfortable with it. The only thing I don't like about it is full draw sweet spot is very short (not sure if I'm saying that right) if you release pressure from full draw at all it goes right to peak weight.

Yes I bought a Razor Edge for my son and he loved it.  It is really light but it doesn't have the performance that the Invasion has.  I shot a nice 80" antelope at 50 yards with my Invasion and I used my 30 yard pin.  I expected him to duck but I should have used my 40 yard pin instead (I thought he was 40 yards not 50).  A fast flat shooting bow can make a big difference.  If I had been using my General I would have missed that buck.  The Invasion has a solid back wall (stopping point) and the last inch of the draw cycle is very easy so it is easy to hold and will not creep forward like some of the other speed bows.  Still it is rated at 343 fps at it highest setting.

Bowtech is moving back towards shorter bows this year.  Their new one mimics some of the same features that were in the Invasion.  There are several out there on Ebay for around $500.00.  If it is in your reach I would grab one and sellyour Razor to someone who needs a starter bow.

Good luck.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for, someone who has had expireance with both. Thank you for the information, gives me some ideas of bows to look into when I can. My daughter is getting married next week so little short on funds right now but maybe later this year I'll see if I can find something that will make me want to part with my razor. Anyone had experiance with the carbon knight? Thanks everyone for your input.

If funds are tight rite now shoot every flagship bow from every manufacturer you can. Next year you'll be able to find them on the Archerytalk classifieds for half the price. If you wait two years they'll be down to about 1/3 of the original MSRP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back