Bow vs Crossbows

Elkoholic

Jan 8, 2013
Whats your thoughts on Crossbows? Should they be in the same category as regular bows? i.e Hunting seasons, accessories added. I know some states do have resrictions on them but whats your thoughts?

In Oregon they are illegal to hunt with but seems like the range would be similar to a muzzleoader. Not sure how other states do it.

Crossbows are not the big deal some make them out to be. Pretty sure crossbows were around before the compound bow, and quite frankly the states that allow them during the archery season have not seen any ill effects. I say let them in.

Crossbows are not legal in Colorado during archery season. They are nothing like shooting abow and should be treated like a muzzle loader.

I have mixed feelings about them, if you are handy caped or older, I think they would be OK.

But, a month or so ago I ran into a girl that I use to date 15 years ago, and she was bragging about this big 10 point she got with her bow, and she had just got it back from the Taxidermist and was showing me pictures of it, It was a nice buck mid 140s.
But then she tells me that she shot it at 55 yards with a crossbow with a scope on it.
I guarantee you, that she couldn't have hit that deer at 25 yards with a compound.
So for the average person to use during the archery season, I don't think it is right. IMHO

Kevin

I am like buckykm1, I have mixed feelings about them. I think they should be placed in the same category as traditional muzzle loaders. I f you are actually handicapped, then during archery season would be ok.

Here in Oregon we even have a few units that are traditional now only. I thank that is pretty cool. If they let crossbows in it would only make sense to allow them on the any weapon tags (which they only have for deer). Any device that lets you hold the draw back indefinitely changes the fundamental spirit of archery seasons.

They legalized them in PA several years ago for use during archery season.
here are some pros and cons that I see.
Pros:
-It allows kids, older folks, and people with physical limitations, who can't draw the weight of a hunting bow to experience "archery" hunting the up close and personal.
-With dwindling license sales trend, it creates additional opportunities and archery permit sales.

Cons:
-people think that if it has a scope and shoulders like a gun it has the range of a gun, or at least a muzzleloader. 
-the woods would be full of "hunters" during the early nice weather archery season taking crackshots at deer.

in regards to the cons, I have not really observed these where I hunt. A crossbow may have a little farther effective range than a bow in the right hands. but it is basically a short range weapon. as long as crossbow users work within those limits. I am not a crossbow expert, but in talking to friends who have used them, they have the speed, but lack the kinetic energy for longer range shots.60-70+ yards
As far as their use on elk. I don't see the need unless it was a physical limitation

My Dad hunted with a crossbow for the first time during the 2012 archery elk season here in Arizona. Primarily we've been rifle hunters, but when he was younger, he bow hunted, so he was getting the itch to bow hunt again.

To get his crossbow permit, first, he had to go to the Dr. to get a letter certifying he had a handicap. (He's 70, has severe arthritis, has had carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists, and had his hip replaced a few months before the hunt. A lot of his left side of his body is in constant pain due to a serious car accident when he was in his 20's.) He then had to mail that in along with his crossbow permit application to the AZGFD.

After he was approved, we spent a lot of time tuning his crossbow and practicing shooting. We found that he was comfortable shooting out to about 40 yards using the 3 pin red dot sight that came with the bow. My dad opted to have me cock the bow for him, since he couldn't physically do it himself. We decided that the crank assemblies for cocking were loud, slow, and to cumbersome to carry in the field. We planned on him only getting one shot. We would locate elk, make what we thought was a good set up, then I would cock the bow for him. I would move back 40-60 yards to call, and wait and watch what would unfold in front of me.

All in all, we had a great time being in the woods chasing bugling bulls. It was neat to call for him and see how each setup would pan out. I know my heart was pounding as elk would surround us, and can only imagine what he was feeling as bulls would approach him. We didn't end up filling his tag that hunt, but it was a great experience for us, and it's keeping him out in the woods a while longer doing what he loves.

I agree with the idea that if you aren't capable of pulling a bow back that you should be able to use a crossbow. When I was in highschool I had an injury that wasn't severe enought to let me use a cross bow but hurt to bad to use a compound so I started to do physical therapy type workouts till my shoulder was strong enough to pull a compound back. Now 10 years later I don't have a problem with it.

Full disclosure this is not meant to be argumentative this is a real question

To those of you who are saying you should only use a crossbow if you are handicap or physically unable to draw a bow what is your reasoning?

Does not being able to draw a bow back suddenly make a crossbow archery equipment in your eyes?

no a crossbow is not archery equipment.  I should have said they can be used but not during archery season.  my reasoning is that it is much easier to aim and the range is much greater, not to mention there is no movement needed to draw, takes all the challenge out of the equation.  I can understand someone not wanting to hunt with a rifle and I encourage that but I agree they should be treated like a muzzle loader. too much of an advantage during archery season

I'm in the same boat with the others to allow it due to disability or unable to use a bow, but other than that archery should be left to archery.  Archery has progressed so fast over the last 15 years that the advancements are enough.  I've thought about switching over to strictly traditional, but know there is much improvement with my compound I would like to pursue that a few more years with that and maybe move onto a recurve.

I feel that if you are able to pull a compound bow back at minimum regulation poundage then you should not be able to use a crossbow. If you are handicap then sure I have no problem with them using a crossbow.

I think for logistics and simplicity that cross bows should only be used in replacement of a muzzle loader. Disabled, old, or whatever your case. They would still reap all the benefits of the rut and lower hunting pressure. This would only be fare to everyone else that spends the extra time needed practicing with a bow. To take it a step further. I would like to see traditional archery hunter have a one week jump on compound guys. I would agree, however, that disabled vets should have some type of special draw for tags.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back