Broad heads

Codybones

Aug 14, 2013
Im setting up for an Elk Archery hunt this fall any feedback on the best broadheads to us.

Thanks

Personal preference. I've used Muzzy's for years. They've done a great jobso I've stuck with them.

Get a solid cut on contact head.  Personally I use a 2 blade silver flame because they are accurate and quiet out of my bow and bust through bone but have used 3 and 4 blade montecs and slick tricks in the past without issue.  Do a little experimentation and find the best, most accurate set up for your bow.

Find a good cut on contact fixed, or replaceable blade head that flies great. I shoot a slick trick magnum and like them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHUTTLE-T they are super strong, great penetration, they don't shatter if you hit something besides meat...

Codybones - I've always shot 100 grain and have added more weight with the insert vs the broadhead. Like most, I'm not an archery expert and always learning by trying and testing.

I shoot 100 grain, but need to think about moving up to get a better front of center. Arrows fly great but the FOC could be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for every ones help its so nice to get on here with a question and get answers from people that have gone through the same thing I am going through now.

Lots of good BH's out there. Depending on the state you plan on hunting you need to look up the regulations to see if you can use Mechanical BH's. If you can, they will be more forgiving to bow tuning mistakes. I have never used Mech's but lots do. I use Montecs and have had good luck with them.

What is more important than your BH is making sure your bow is well tuned. A well tuned bow can shoot just about any BH you put on your arrow.

I too am a fan of the G5 strikers. They fly straight and penetrate well. I have some buddies that shoot them as well and they really like them too. I shoot 100 grain.

Well, it looks like this year I'm back to not liking my Montec's. I go back and forth about them. The last time I used Shuttle T's I had one of the blades break after a pass through. Not sure if it was a tree deflection or a rock. I guess it could have also been a bone.

This year I'm trying the Solid 100grain broadheads. Not cheap at all (about $70 for a 3 pack) but they are scary sharp and fly really well.

I shoot VPA unvented 125gr and Slick Trick Magnums 125 grs...really hard to say which head I like best...BUT...whilst I get same POI at 20 yards with both heads, as I move further back, I'm getting an exponential increase in gap [which means I have to tune to my bow to one head OR the other, which is understandable]

I'm planning on getting hold of beef shoulder blades from the butchers where my wife works and set about some REAL testing...will be very interesting to find out which BH splits bone best

I use 2
Mechanical- Ulmer edge 125g
Fixed - Montec 100g

Both work well, Ulmers put them down faster with better blood trails.  Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back