Broad heads

Codybones

Aug 14, 2013
Just got my slick trick solid broad heads and having not been around archery gear for quit a few years these heads look a little small, very wicked looking and they shoot great but seem small is that the norm for heads these days?

cutting diameters are different its your call on what you like just make sure the head you choose is legal in your state i like a big cut but as long as you hit the mark size matters little

Cody- Heres the good news.  Because the cut on contact broadheads are so small, most fly like field points.  Your preaching to the choir as far as your instincts go.  In my experience broadheads like yours (I used Montecs for years) fly just fine, and zip thru elk. I noticed that when I shot this type of broadhead, the elk usually lived 4-8 minutes before expiring.  An elk can go a long way in 4-8 minutes.  The good news- Dead elk.  Bad news- Blood trails were spotty, and FAR! 
This is why I switched to a mechanical.  Dead elk in seconds, not minutes. I know the risks so I bumped up my KE to over 82 ft/lbs and FOC above 13%. Something rear deploy helps too.

I'm only going to be shooting around 60lbs so I thought the fixed would get better penetration, I don't think I will be able to move up 65 or 70 before the season, does this make sense or am I thinking to much?

The best way to increase your KE is increase your mass, not draw weight.  I do this by getting heavier spined arrows, weighted inserts, and shoot 125gr head.  I would rather shoot a slower heavier arrow then a fast light one, esp with mechanicals. (I would rather be shot with baseball at 100mph then a bowling ball at 50).  That being said, I've had more pass throughs with mechanical than fixed. 
Beware, the next comment will be "I don't know why you want to risk it with mechanical".  I know the risks.  The benefit of a quickly dead elk with a massive bloodtrail outweigh any perceived risk, in my book.  (Never had a failure)

I also like a little more of a cutting edge. I dont mind mechanicals but there are some out there I would not use on elk and have had a bad experience with. Like has been said hitting your mark is important. A bigger cutting edge does leave a better blood trial.

+1 and 2 on what the guys have said...

I shoot 29" arrows from my 58# UltraTec with 125gr Slick Trick Magnums...gives me 65ft/lb KE

Shot placement is key; up the front leg and in the crease 1/3 of the way up the body is the perceived wisdom

Attachments

• Elk I.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 22
No problem Cody; I've found the dimensioned vitals very helpful with my shooting practice. Let me know if you'd lilke me to email the PDF of the two halves to reproduce of the vitals closeup

I have found the enlarged dimensioned vitals very helpful when practising; let me know if you'd like me send you the PDFs SpotnStalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back