Broadhead Advice

Madison Alabama

Dec 2, 2013
Shooting a Hoyt Turbo, 65 pounds, 27", 395 grains at 280 fps.  Shooting Deep Impact 400.  I have shoot the Rage Hypodermic and Slick Trick Viper Trick.  I understand that it's all about shot placement, but I'd appreciate your thoughts as to which broad head I should go with...they both shoot about the same.  Primary concerns are penetration and also blood trail.  I shoot a bull last year with the deep six grim reaper and had almost zero blood.  Thanks all.

Im a die hard fixed blade fan. I shoot muzzy's but like slick tricks also.  It just seems to me you don't get the penetration with a expandable that you do with a fixed blade. That said the only advantage to expandable's would be if you make a questionable shot the bigger hole may help you out. If you hit them good both will do the job but i think you'll get more pass throughs with fixed blades. Just my opinion. Good luck this season.

Blood trail is largely a function of shot placement.
Of the two you listed I would go with the Viper Trick. Might take a look at VPA as well.

I have been using the grim reaper  razor cut ss the past 3 years and have had good luck with them, one elk shoot from 10 yards left little blood but elk only went 50 yards and dropped , and the other elk shoot with the same arrow and same broad head as the other elk from 15 yards left blood drops the size of my boot and went 100 yards and dropped. Point is all broad heads have good and bad points and is hard to judge performance from one or 2 times ,( I have seen bad results from the grim reaper Mathews edition , have seen 4 out of 4 shoots with them have the tip break off cause the used a aluminum alloy tip.as fare as the other 2 broad heads you mentioned I can not give you an accurate opinion on .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back