Broadheads for elk

GSPhunter

May 6, 2015
Gday guys,
first time poster here.
I'm 24, from Australia and am currently planning an elk hunt.
The fiancée and I are getting married end of next year and the following year we're heading over to the states for our first married holiday type thing.
She's a big sex and the city fan so first stop will be NYC (I'll be hiding most of the cash while we're there) then on to Bozeman MT to catch up with a mate of mine who lives there.
I'm timing it to hit the archery elk season (thinking last two weeks of September) and doing some DIY public land with OTC tags for elk and muley.

As my name states I hunt deer with a GSP indicating dog now so I've put down the bow over the past 18 months in favour of muzzleloader and rifle as it's easier to hunt over a dog with.
Now that we have these plans though I've dusted off the old bear Mauler and want to start prepping and getting used to a better setup.
I'm going to some new Aussie shafts "Zelor" and want to change out my 125gn rage two blades for something else which brings me to this thread question.

What are peoples thoughts on Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lock Black Ops 100gn broadheads on elk? I mostly hunt red and fallow here in Aus and would definitely do the trick on them. But how about for elk? Love to hear from anyone with first hand experience using them.

Cheers in advance for any help,

GSP

My personal opinion is as long as it has razor blades your probably fine , 99 % of its shoot placement as far as fixed or mechanical , 2 ,3 , or 4 blade there is advantages and disadvantages to all of them so its mostly personal preference 

cowboystl1 said:
^^^ that being said im a fan of DRT Dirtnapgear.com check them out
9c998e75e64b28ead85500ffe0c4a4cf.jpg
+1 on the DRT's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your question, Shuttle ts are an awesome head for elk. Go for them if they fly good out of your setup. 2 holes and a nice blood trail.
I have a recommendation for purchase (since shuttle ts are a great choice)for you before you get here...goto the store online here and purchasee "university of elk hunting" DVD.  It'll give you an edge so you might have to worry about getting that all that meat back to Australia.  ;)

montanaelk31 said:
To answer your question, Shuttle ts are an awesome head for elk. Go for them if they fly good out of your setup. 2 holes and a nice blood trail.
I have a recommendation for purchase (since shuttle ts are a great choice)for you before you get here...goto the store online here and purchasee "university of elk hunting" DVD.  It'll give you an edge so you might have to worry about getting that all that meat back to Australia.  ;)

My shuttle t-locks are awesome! I always make sure the blades are aligned with my vanes, and they always spin straight. They group right with my field points without extra tuning. They also are very strong and come sharp.  I accidently shot high on a buck and blew right through the middle of the spin, but still got a pass through.

Hi Mate, you won't be able to get an over the counter elk tag in Montana.  You must draw for elk.  You can buy a deer tag though.  You can get Idaho, and Colorado with just an application. I used ziwicky and snuffer heads for years but I shoot longbows.  They both kill elk very well.  I was in Sydney in 1966 in the Coast Guard on the USCGC EASTWIND, an icebreaker.

+2 on the dirt nap gear broadheads, shot my Muley with them last year and I'm not afraid to go for elk with them at all good holes and good blood, plus they are rock solid and have a lifetime warranty, if I break one or need it sharpened or anything I send them back and they fix them or send me a new one can't beat that at all.  Hopefully one day in an get to Australia for hunting I was there in cranolla beach in 2001 for the baseball tournament I'd like to get there for some stag hunting though

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

It's just a misconception that non residents cant get otc elk tags, it's all in the wording which I double checked by speaking to MT fish and game mob.

Cheers for all the info guys, really appreciate it!

Any good stout broadhead will perform well on elk and the Shuttle T's definitely meet that description.  You might also want to check out the VPA 2 or 3 blade heads.  I know they are becoming quite popular in Australia for buffalo hunting and are made out of a single piece of steel so they are super tough heads.  Good luck to you and your new bride and good luck on the hunt!

I'm using the shuttle T's and have had great success, two of those were frontal shots and were devastating.  I've even seen one that went through the back of a rag horns skull, he was dead before he hit the ground (wasn't intentional, total lucky, the bull ducked and turned away and it just hit the bull square in the back of the head).  Been looking at the Dirt Nap DRT's, but if it aint broke why fix it?

shuttle t's are a good head. i have used them the last couple of seasons. this year i have switched to solid broadheads, shooting a solid legend 100 with 3/4 inch bleeder. they fly great and are extremely sharp. they are quite a bit more expensive than shuttle t's but with s30v steel blades, they sharpen up easy like a quality knife and as the name implies, they are solid and should last quite a while.

VPA's definitely are gaining steam here in Aus, similarly so are an aussie one called Ozcut, they make a mean 185gn fixed that I reckon would do the job on just about anything.

The pain with American stuff quite often is just getting it here.

I'm using Shuttle T's as well.  Why?  Because a friend of mine who's killed nearly 50 elk with his bow told me to and that was plenty good enough for me!  ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back