Budget boots

lang

Sep 29, 2013
Wondering what people wear under $150.  Little out of my league if you read any reviews on boots the starting mark seems to be $250 and up.  Wondering if everyone that works for Extreme elk, or Elk Hunter magazine have a budget or they get them free for doing reviews.  And yes I realize the importance of good boots, there just has to be decent ones out there under $150. 

I used to buy the less expensive boots. I got two years out of them at the most. Some were one year. I just sort of accepted that as normal, because i'm in the mountains almost 300 days a year.

Seven years ago I decided to try a better boot. I bought the Meindl Perfekt boots. I'm still wearing them, and the construction is still perfect. I just sent them in for a resole job. I fully expect they'll last another seven years. They have never leaked, and i've never been uncomfortable in them in any weather or conditions.

If you break it down to what the boots cost me per year they were pretty cheap. You know the saying. Pay me now, or pay me later.

lang said:
Wondering what people wear under $150.  Little out of my league if you read any reviews on boots the starting mark seems to be $250 and up.  Wondering if everyone that works for Extreme elk, or Elk Hunter magazine have a budget or they get them free for doing reviews.  And yes I realize the importance of good boots, there just has to be decent ones out there under $150.

you can use a danner boot they will make a trip out west or you can use a rocky boot and even a cabelas boot they will all make at least one trip you can get two out of a good danner or irsh setter but only way u get those under 150 is on sale. and the second trip you will feel the difference from the first the insoles will be wore and your feet will get sore and stiff easier but they will hold up. and if i was only hunting out west every other year id just stick with them but i have decided to make this a yearly trek there for im saving and im spending 3-400 on a pair that will last me. but again you can get boots that will work for under 200 for sure and if your sharp and watch regularly you can score a pair for less than 150 if it were me and thats your goal watch camofire.com  get the app and pull the trigger when some decent ones come up (i dont work for them )  lol im waiting for them to slap up some last year lowa gtx (dreaming never hurts )

Danner Hiker GTX works good for me.  Get 2 years out of them before the soles are slick.  They go for $150ish here in MT

I bought a pair of Keen hiking boots last year and they were great. $96 on Amazon. The way i see it is, if I never experience the super awesome boots I won't know what I am missing anyway.... lol

Rich Z said:
I bought a pair of Keen hiking boots last year and they were great. $96 on Amazon. The way i see it is, if I never experience the super awesome boots I won't know what I am missing anyway.... lol

You'll also go through life wearing crappy boots.

OldMan said:
Rich Z said:

You'll also go through life wearing crappy boots.

Probably, but I'm on a tight budget and they seem to work just fine for me so I don't really care. I'm guessing the elk don't care if I'm wearing Sitka or a $12 crapy pair I Walmart pants either. The guy asked for boots under $150 that worked for us not boots over $400 that work for you.

Rant over.... Lol

I recommended boots that lasted 7 years, and still going strong. In the long run it's cheaper than buying cheaper boots that last 1-2 years. Plus, you have the advantage of wearing better boots.

BTW..The Meindl boots cost $240.

I wear Cabala's boots, the 6 point series or Alaskan Guide series I believe, and they work fine for me.
A lot depends on how much you get to hunt, if you live out west and get to Elk hunt a lot, the high dollar boots are fine.
But if your like me, I only get to Elk hunt a couple of weeks a year, and I wear them  snow blowing my driveway too.
I have 10 years on this pair, and they are in great shape yet.

Kevin

I spend a solid two weeks out each year, and probably put more miles than the average elk hunter in the North Idaho jungles.  Also do deer, bear and upland game.  It was good to hear the higher $ boots lasted more years.  I did wonder if they really lasted any longer with the abuse a serious elk hunter will put them through, especially the water proofing.  I usually get 1.5-2 years out of cheap ones before the water proofing goes.  I have boots in the 8-10 year range I'll still wear on afternoon hunts on dry days.   

I would highly recommend a boot by Asolo.  You can oftentimes find them on sale for around $150 or less online.  I used them the first two years I hunted and my brother in law has used them for the last two.  They are super comfortable and one of the better waterproof boots I've owned. 

I have worn a pair of Cabela's Outfitter Series boots the last 2 years.  They were fine and comfortable to a point.  Similar issue for my hunting partners Wolverine's. They were awesome until we had to side hill with a bull on our backs.  I picked my Kenetrek boots up this year for the stiffness and support.  Keep an eye out you don't have to pay $400.  Sierra Trading Post had some Lowa GTX for $250, they have some good sales every once in a while.  It has been said pay $400 for a pair of boots that last 5 yrs or spend a couple hundered every other year or more its up to you.

cabelas iron ridge i have had 2 different pairs over five years and they still keep going and i still like them.
i wanted something lighter so i bought the cabelas lite hikers by meindel this year

I bought some columbia's last year that did really well in the early season and ok in the late. They are not the best, but they where $50 and put miles a day on them without any problems... Lite weight, super breathable and comfy...

I've seen Danner Pronghorns on sale for under $150.  If that is what you have to spend on boots, they will be a good boot for you for a yearmaybe 2.  Do not expect to get even a full season of waterproofing out of them, you will be lucky to get that.  As others have said you will get more life out of better boots.  I have gone through several "cheap" pair of boots (Danners), I finally had a little more to spend on boots 3 years ago and picked up a pair of Meindl Denalis and I will never go back to "cheap" boots again.  I am on year 3 with these boots and they are still in great shape, I expect to get 3 or more out of them. 

Cabellas has deals on boots as does Sierra Trading post.
I've been wearing Cabellas Ibex boot by Meindel for many years and still work great.
Mtn. hikers are good too. Both have gote-tex and never been wet.

If you wear out a boot in year or 2 they are not good boots,IMHO.
Save and get the best possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back