Budget Friendly UL Synthetic Sleeping Back Recommendations

ben782

Feb 1, 2019
I'm looking for recommendations on an ultra light, synthetic sleeping bag.

My criteria:
Synthetic, under 3 lbs, 30 degree or colder, under $200 and compresses small for hunting out of your pack. [br /] What are your recommendations?

The Salewa Fusion Hybrid Sleeping Bag or the new Nemo KYAN look very intriguing

I prefer treated down to synthetic. Much lighter, warmer, and more packable. Put it in a good dry bag and you've got nothing to worry about for rain.

I use a 30* Marmot Hydrogen, and have slept in that down into the low 20's. If I had to do it all again, I'd go with an Enlightened Equipment quilt, the Enigma, specifically, probably a 40*. But for now my Marmot does the trick.

I went with the enlightened equipment Revelation "Limited Edition". $50+ cheaper to get the limited edition, very lightweight and seems to be really well made. Haven't used it yet but I read a ton and most signs pointed this direction for how I sleep (side/stomach/rolling.)

I hear a lot about quilts .... seem like it would be cold . What is the advantages other than weight ...

Alberta TS said:
I hear a lot about quilts .... seem like it would be cold . What is the advantages other than weight ...

I guess it depends on the individual, but for me, I use my mummy bag as a quilt over 90% of the time. By that I mean I unzip it and just use it over me.

The EE quilts mentioned above are lighter, pack smaller, and you can customize it to exactly what you want. The biggest thing with a quilt is it doesn't have a back, when sleeping in a sleeping bag and you compress the down (back,side,etc), when the down is compressed it doesn't do anything for warmth. With a quilt you do need to have a good sleeping pad, but i'd have a good pad with a sleeping bag anyway.

I have an EE conundrum I think its a 20, it's lightweight, packs down, and keeps you warm but you're not going to get in and out of it quickly. The zipper is lightweight and small, gets stuck easily when opening and closing. I sleep better using it as a closed bottom blanket on an insulated pad when it gets colder.

Nemo equipment is coming out with a new synthetic bag that they are doing a cooperative effort with first light.  Not much info on it yet from what I've seen but has a few interesting features and its designed for backcountry hunting.  Worth keeping an eye out for when more info becomes available. 

I use an Eureka Casper 15 degree bag. If no rain is forecasted i just throw it on the ground and crash. Keeps me warm down to rated temp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212-092537_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-092537_Gallery.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back