Bugles?

Archery Elk Crazy

Jun 21, 2013
Has anyone else heard any bugles or any rutting activity?  I have been hunting Colorado the past two weekends and have seen the elk but havent heard a thing.  The elk we have been seeing aren't evan thinking about the rut.

Nothing! Today was 83 in Buena Vista and right now at 10:30 still showing 69 outside!  Miserable and hot September.  Even with the rain, water is drying up, grass is yellowing, but there is hope;  tomorrow a cold front should drop highs down to the mid 50's and lows into the high 30's so maybe the elk will be a bit more peppy and start calling for one another?

Have heard some bugles and also have a couple friends who have called some bulls in and smoked them.

nothing going crazy but the elk are bugling early and late and seem real responsive to cow calls.

Elk are right on schedule in my area in the gunnison national forest of southern colorado. Had a great chance at a herd bull yesterday but things didn't work out. Also called in a bull out of his bed around 11am yesterday but that didn't work out either. Time to hit it hard these next couple weeks!!

Rumor is that it will get cooler next week in Central Colorado, which may help get things going. Heading out this Wednesday...

no bugles today, and the herd of cows don't have a lead bull, except for the spiker with them...rifle just opened this morning so it isn't like the bull has been shot out already...weird.  I'll be back in there tomorrow morning to see if a bull has caught wind of the cows.

Just returned from 5 days in S. Central CO and starting Friday the 6th they were bugling a bit mostly in the evening and after dark and were responding but not too interested in showing themselves.  By Tuesday they were very few bugles and they were very unresponsive.  I think it's just too hot and the were at the highest elevations we thought.  We'll come back in a couple weeks and they should be fired up.....at least that's what we are hoping for.

Yes they are in UTAH Big Time Now....Was out this week and they were Loud!!

But, I think it depends on the canyon and area, I have seen some that are still with other bulls and some that are with there hurd! 

The ELK BUGLE is one of the most beautiful & amazing sounds in the world!! Get's me totally stoked to go find one.

Here in the panhandle of Idaho I had the bulls goin pretty good monday and again on tues. Got a couple small sattelites to come in to my calls but couldn't get em in close enough. The herd bulls wouldn't budge and would finally take their cows and head away from my calling. Only saw one of the herd bulls, nice 6x6 might go 300. The last 2 days wasn't getting any response, so I went out right at dark and did some bugling and got an answer about halfway up a draw, went back in the morning and only got one bugle out of the bull and I think they were already on the move cause I couldn't catch up to them, plus it was very steep country and I'm outta shape. I think it's just too hot right now. Best bet is probably to hunt close to water and dark timber. Temps are supposed to start coming down this next week, that should help. Anybody else from Idaho have some input?

A buddy of mine had four bulls bugling this morning in the Palouse zone. He connected on a nice 4x5. I won't get out until Monday, but I am hoping they will be bugling well by then. Anyone else have any updatesabout bugling bulls or rutting activity?

Had a solo bull today about 150 yards, antler restriction is 6 points, couldn't see his brow or G2 to confirm, but he was quiet, nothing could get him to step out; cow calls, mews, bugle, chuckle.  Been very quiet up here in my part of B.C so far this year.  The 30C temps aren't helping much I`d say.

And to make it worse, I am almost positive its the bull in my Avatar.  actually I'm convinced it is.

I bugled in a nice 5 point today. He was by himself, no cows. He bugled regularly. He was bugling at first light in response to my calls. I called him in to 12 yards, but couldn't put an arrow in him! Needless to say, I had a blast trying!

Real hotout over the weekend. I heard bugles in the dark but they went silent as soon as it started to get light. It seemed they were already on there way to bed. Hopefully the cooler weather we are supposed to get will keep them talking during the day.

ribo451 said:
Real hot out over the weekend. I heard bugles in the dark but they went silent as soon as it started to get light. It seemed they were already on there way to bed. Hopefully the cooler weather we are supposed to get will keep them talking during the day.
Had the same problem.  Had them bugling all night and then once daylight came around nothing for 14 hours.  Then finally at dark i had one bugle and took the first one that came in which was a spike.  Meat is meat and i couldnt be happier.

Been hunting central Colorado south of bolder very popular location but have only heard bugles 1 morning 2 bulls it was actually the closest I have been to getting a shot.. at a cow 40yrds but I would have been happy with MEAT & my first bow kill, hopefully this weekend will pick up, We got SNOW above 10,000ft so that might help last weekend Colo. Archery GOOD LUCK TO ALL

hunted south Co in san juan nat forest from the 12 through 19th they would start bugling around 5pm and really heat up after 2am at least 6-7 bugling within 100 yds of our camp but they wouldn't respond to any cow calls did get some snow which really moved them around

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back