bugling

linds1007

Dec 28, 2012
Does anyone have a good way of explaing how to grunt and chuckle with a mouth reed without choking on it?

I force the air from my diaphragm and actually make an audible grunt "through" the reed in rapid succession.  Seems to work for me, but it does takes lots of practice to make those chuckles in rapid succession.  I found it easier to make those deep grunts.  Also, not all reeds are equal for me and there are definitely some that are easier to make grunts/chuckles with.

One trick I have found that makes my chuckles/grunts sound more realistic is when you inhale between each note I try to feel the reed suck back toward my tongue. It seems to imitate the tone you can hear between a real elk's chuckles/grunts.

Practice, practice, practice, experiment before season and find reeds that work for you. A reed for your friend may not produce the sound you want or fit your mouth properly. Even after 30 years I am continuously checking out new calls each year. Some end up staying home but others find their way into my pack.

I know they're expensive, but try various reeds. Maybe the smaller reed will help with the choking! Also I like using the reed with the dome on top. This help me with growling and deeper tone. Also bring your voice into the call. This might be a bit advance, but the realistic sounds is quite noticeable. You can't imagine how many hunters I have called in.....just wish the bulls were that easy!!! ;D Plus you can never practice enough, even if the spouse threaten to throw away your tube!

linds,

I was working with my 9 year old on that very issue this weekend. The way I like to explain it, is each chuckle is a very short bugle. It requires an octave change, so I had him practice a bugle, then do it again faster. When he was able to get a very brief, 3-note "bugle", I had him repeat the sound. Once he got where he could get 5-6 in a row, I had him add some voice in between....basically a very audible, choppy inhalation. For 9 years old, and only working on it for a day or two, he was sounding really good!

I will try that.since i got a bully bull tube it sound better but still needs practice.too bad you dont have a siminar in boise area.If you ever do please post because me and my hunting partner will be there.

linds,

I typically do 4-5 seminars in the Boise area each year. I'm sure we'll have some coming up and we'll definitely get the word out as we do. Thanks!

Another good thing to do is record yourself, it can really open your eyes as to how you really sound. Then keep practicing and listening to real elk and then yourself. You don't have to be perfect, just get it sounding close. All elk sound different so what really matters is what you are saying, that is what will make them respond!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back