Building ground blinds?

Lark Bunting

Sep 14, 2016
I\'m taking my son up to do some recon and want to have some ground blinds in place for opening weekend. I\'m mainly looking at this for deer but since this is the most read and posted forum I\'m putting it here as I may be able to incorporate this for my elk unit as well next weekend.

Any advice for building ground blinds prior to the season?

I figure I\'m going to have a couple in each spot (where trails come together heading to water) so I have options for wind. Any other tips? Should I account for a lawn chair? :lol:

BTW, this is for archery and I\'d have my son in here with my...so proper ventilation is necessary because I\'m finding that 15 year old boys stink to high heaven! :crazy:

You got to be comfortable.... :D :D

Heck, I have a couple of high back office chairs with arm rest in the deer stand I hunt the most.. And it\'s well ventilated... :lolno: :lolno:

He\'s in the rut! Should be smelling better in 35-40 years! :)

Lawn chair? No. LIghtweight folding dove chair or similar - yes! If lawn chair is \"similar\", change my first answer.

Arky is right about being comfortable especially when on the ground to minimize movement and shifting around. A whitetail will catch you scratching your nose if not careful. I\'d suggest putting your blind around the base of a couple of trees where you have a back rest.

Take in a small shovel to make sure your blind \'floor\' is level - been cramped up before on a slight slope trying to keep myself in my chair.

Take some string to help tie up the blind and branches. Keep in mind what\'s green now will be brown in a few weeks after being cut down - assuming you\'re cutting branches/boughs for the cover.

When Ive used camp chairs in a blind, it seems the legs always sink into the soft ground.
Always have to adjust them as your weight shifts.

Just something to think about and what the chair legs may do

If you use a chair, be sure it has a back on it and no arms to get in the way for archery. The cheapy ones at WalMart work just fine. Portable blinds are great and also help in controlling human odor to some extent. But no guarantees for teeny boppers in rut! :wtf: But I\'m not sure I would use one on public land unless it\'s something you don\'t care about all that much. Also, the leafy type military netting can be a big help in blind making and you can add natural material to it as well. Being still is essential as deer and elk are masters at picking up any motion.

Personally, I usually just tuck myself in close to some bushes so I have good background cover.

One other thing to keep in mind is try to brush as much of the leaves and twigs away from the ground as possible. You want any movement you make with your feet to be silent so having nothing but dirt there is definitely helpful.

Our mission went pretty well. We had an impromptu urge to get out family camping one more time and I convinced them all that we could go back to this spot, leaving soon. This way I can grab SD cards from a few days ago and we can work on building more blinds. The area we put two blinds in so far is a nice little finger valley that leads down to water, and is right in between from where my doe was bedded a couple years ago. The whole thing is a travel route as we found footprints all through this area. The whole thing is about 30 yards wide and we have blinds on either side to be prepared for the wind.

We\'ll check out a couple more spots while up there this weekend and hopefully have a few more built.

We plan on arriving late afternoon the Friday before opening day but I\'d rather not be in the area until I can legally shoot one. :mg: This will be awesome to have some blinds to sit in!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back