Bull behavior in the early season.

lankkari

Aug 31, 2014
A buddy and I just started the Idaho season and have a spot where we are about an hour behind the elk going into thickets.  Along their travel route, there is significant rubs and pee spots from a decent bull (judging by rubs).  With his territorial markings and daily activity at them, we decided this morning to bugle and mock rub to see if we could get him to defend his turf, but had absolutely no response.  When calling, I tried to sound like a young adult bull, something that could be a threat but not so big as to question the success of the fight. So far we haven't heard any confirmed bugles that were not hunters. 

I am still green in the calling department and wanted to know your thoughts as to expected reactions from bulls this early in the season and calling tips to get them into more open areas.  In my "vast" experience, this early season appears to be when the big boys are fighting over territory so we did not try to mix in any cow calls today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd be surprised if he's in there daily and not answering your calls. How are u determining daily use?  It may benefit you to spot and stalk on an area where you assume he is traveling frequently. Get eyes on that bull and then try some bugles or light cow calling to see what he does.

We determined daily use by the new broken branches and growing rubs along with new tracks every morning.  We would love to spot and stalk but it is near impossible to spot before the stalk due to the immense vegetation.  We will try this week to get into his bedroom (once found) and see if your advice will entice him into a shooting lane.

Thanks for the comment.

2 pieces of advice. First, find out what he's biting on. You'll have a lot more success calling in animals if u don't fall in love with your bugle or cow call.  Second, if they are in jungles (not spot and stalkable) and not talkin- find different elk that will talk. Plan B or C or D or E resulted in successes for me over the years. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back