Bull raking a Tree...now what?

DSmitty

Jan 13, 2013
So last year my brother and I bumped a herd of elk late inthe evening. Knowing where the elk would hold up over night we walked in first thing the next morning. Not long after we reached our location we heard a lot of grunting/blowing coming from the thick reprod. At first I thought it was a bear tearing up a stump but as we got within a hundred yards or so you could see a reprod tree getting thrashed and the tips of his antlers. I sent my brother out a head of me and when he got to within 50 yards or so I started doing some soft estrus cow calls. He kept raking, A few minutes later I thought I would crank it up a "little" and let out a whimpy bugle. He fired right back and I bugled again. We called back and forth for probably 5 minutes. I pretty much did what he did, If he chuckled I chuckled if he raked i'd rake. I always tried to sound a little bit smaller. I had him pretty fired up and we started cutting off each other back and forth Untill....he sounded the alarm and all of a sudden all I could hear was the entire herd taking off. So, What would you have done or what have you done differently? I have wondered since I had the wind in my favor if I should have just tried to sneek up on him silently. Interested in some expert advice!

Take your bugle and put it against the ground and bugle gently.  It should make a muffled sound, sounding like a far away bull this will catch the bulls attention and maybe get him to bugle back and if not it should not scare him away.  Hopefully he will come your way.  Do not rake back unless he gets more vocal then rake without getting to carried away.  Three or four soft rakes.

Well when i come across the bull raking the trees i try to sneak up as close as possible because his attention is elsewhere.  I make sure the wind is right and slip on in.  I have been busted just like you were explaining while he was raking but most of the time i can get close.  Usually turns out to be a small bull that i pass up thinking ill find a bigger bull but never do.

You couldn't have done a whole lot more but maybe move a little closer yourself. You brother is the one who should have tried to sneak in on the bull while you were keeping him busy ;)

If you are by yourself, once he starts raking start sneaking in and try to work in for a shot.

The elk probably spooked because the caught a whiff of your brother. They would not bark and run from you bugling.

Have had this happen MANY times-

If hunting with a partner, keep the bull raking by raking and returning his  challenge bugles. Have your partner creep ahead and get close enough for a shot while bull rakes as they keep their eyes closed when raking. Be sure to keep an eye out for cows- "deal killer".  Works like a charm!

If hunting solo, and the bull is 100 yards or less- pick up a stick and rake in response as this a display of dominance! When he bugles, cut him off with the most insulting challenge bugle you can muster. It may take a few of these challenges to get him to charge in. If he still doesn't come in and there is enough cover to conceal your movement- scream a challenge and charge toward him 20 yards or so to call his bluff. If he keeps raking, repeat until he can ALMOST see you and set up again raking and reply to his bugles with a challenge scream. More times than not he will show himself during part of this scenario presenting you with a shot. The key is to be aggressive rather than passive as you this is all his display of dominance.  Has worked more times than not for me  :) 

I think pulling the sneak on him would have been better. Since he was pre occupied prolly wouldn't have seen you coming. Kind of depends on the terrain though. Found that a couple sexy cow calls  then a challenge bugle him he bugles seems to do the trick if you are within a 200yrds or so.

Snuck in on two bulls once and they were going at it.  The bigger bull sent the other packing and took his cows.  The cows walked right over me.  After I shot right over the bulls back he took off with his cows.  While calling to try to get him back, the loser of the bull fight bugled back just above me.  I started to call and rake trees and cutting him off.  He immediately came in.  Couldn't get a shot at him because he was in cover, but I use the challenge bugle and raking all the time to make them feel threatened that I am going to come take away their cows. They come right in.

I think it was Randy Ulmer that said to just run at em.  I haven't tried it but want to.

I am with Bugler to a tee on this one, other than if he had no idea you were there and he is raking try sneaking in w/out talking to him, as noted they close their eyes to rake and are occupied with that fight they are having with the tree. This may give you an opportunity to take him while he is occupied.

most definatly depends on the time of the rut,first of all its not like you see on tv,about 50 fails for every score.If its early in the rut than You want to sound like you are trying to call in cows a softer bugle with maybe some cow calls to make him think you have some cows he can take from you.If he has his cows already like he did You either need to make him chalange you for your cows or go in quiet .not very often a mature bull will leave his cows,they most times will take them and run.

get as close as possible without drawing any attention (shooter), if the caller has an eye on both the bull and the shooter, only sound off when the bull is getting spooked by the shooter closing the distance.  if you cant get a visual on both (rarely to watch it all unfold) get the converstation going by raking first
at least in my areas the bulls 'know' each others bugles and if you come in as a stranger that quickly and that agressive and he is not the herd bull chances are pretty good he will just head out
I hunt pretty hard hit OTC units here in Colorado so its rare that you get a responsive bull to interact with you but it can happen

my motto is to sneak in un-noticed, dont draw unnecessary attention but if that doesnt work, hit em hard and run in and chase havoc...what do you got to lose at that point!

Happy Hunting!

My experience has been that if you have located a bull (especially if he is raking) that is unaware of your presence, make that your advantage.  Calling or bringing attention to your self will make success much more difficult.  Move slow and be patient.....he is almost on the wall.

I am no expert but I love raking in thick cover. But when a bull is raking a tree, I try and slip in as close as possible.
Racking in bedding areas midday is also a favored technique of mine. There is no 100 % successful way to rake in a bull every time. Just trial and error.

Slip in while he can't hear you. I will rake, but only when I start it. My 11 year old son started one this year and called in a nice 6 point his first try, and he says " how easy" I laughed and thought " oh has he got a lot to learn" especially on public land.

Move in while he is raking. Stop when he stops. Get as close as you can and set up for a good shot while he is raking. Works pretty well.

Take Dirk's (THEBUGLER) advise on this one.  I have wasted more opportunities than I can count by being too passive.  No offense to the stalkers on this thread ;)  there are certainly times for that.  But I've been in similar scenarios to the one you described and can verify that dirks approach has a high likelihood of getting you a shot.  Try it next time and see for yourself.  You will kick yourself for not trying it sooner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back