Calendar Year 2020 Elk Hunt & Introduction

tips n tails

Nov 29, 2019
For years now I?ve wanted to go elk hunting however, ?life? has kept me from going. After being stationed overseas for the last 3 yrs, I?m finally pulling the trigger on a CY20 DIY elk hunt with my dad. Leaning towards either a cow or antlered hunt.

I swore up & down I wouldn?t be one of those that jumps on here asking for info therefore, I figured it would be money well spent to sign-up for Corey Jacobsen?s UEH Crs which I did today.

I spoke to F&G several times over the last month and come 1 Dec I plan on purchasing an OTC elk tag/wolf. Additionally, it?s not lost on me I can hunt Oregon at resident prices (AD military) however, my trip to Idaho serves a purpose of seeing the state for future retirement options after my stint as an Training Instructor.

With this said, who?s Elk101 on here? I?d like to ask him a few questions if he doesn?t mind. I was using the ?Search? function w/i this forum and found a couple comments from Elk101 from 2017 I?d like to expand on if possible.

Lastly, as my elk hunting experience increases over the next few years I look fwd to becoming a contributing member to this forum.

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to fire away with your questions on here as there are a lot of knowledgeable folks around. If you are trying to get in touch with Corey (Elk101), the easiest thing to do would be to email him. Just know that this time of year is crazy for him with getting the daily Destination Elk videos released, so it might take some time for him to respond to you. His email is corey@elk101.com.

Good luck!

Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. Corey & Donnie do a stand-up job making the Destination Elk videos. Between Destination Elk and Solo Hunter both are my top 2.

Off topic: Did you buy anything good for Black Friday?

Well so far so good. Purchased our elk tags today therefore, that?s a good start in the right direction.

tips n tails said:

Nothing for me. I held back, but I can't say I wasn't tempted! Yourself?

tips n tails said:
Well so far so good. Purchased our elk tags today therefore, that’s a good start in the right direction.

Definitely a good start!  :upthumb:

DTP said:
Welcome to the site!  :thewave:

Thank you DTP. I?ve been trying Corey?s tips on learning how to use a diaphragm call...and it?s rough. I sound like a turkey hunter making hen clucks.

cohunter14 said:
tips n tails said:

Nothing for me. I held back, but I can't say I wasn't tempted! Yourself?

Bought some camo wool clothing from Cabela?s. That?s about it. Been waiting to purchase a MR Beartooth backpack however, they been out of stock for a hot minute.

tips n tails said:
Well so far so good. Purchased our elk tags today therefore, that?s a good start in the right direction.

Definitely a good start!  :upthumb:

What unit did you settle on?

Myself and 2 or 3 other disabled vets will be making the trip out this year for an elk hunt but haven't settled on which unit to hunt. We were wanting to hunt Salmon but those tags sold out within the first few days. This will be my first elk hunt.

Best of luck to you in the coming season.

Right now looking at 36a. My dad & I ended up getting the Pioneer B Tag (late season cow). And yes, you gotta be quick with those tags. Pioneer unit sold out w/i a few hours.

What?s your game plan since Salmon sold out?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back