Caller

Elkoholic

Jan 8, 2013
What do you think is the perfect distance for the Caller to set up behind the shooter? We usually do about 60yrds.

60 yards is about right. I think the more open the farther you can set up, and the more brush its a good idea to shorten the gap a little bit.

good starting point.. But it all depends on terrain and cover. If I have the room I will back up as far as I can.. But as we all know sometimes it happens so fast we must improvise!!

depends how far cover is behind me and usually they set up about 60 to 100 yards behind me or whoever the shooter is.

I like setting up so that we can see each to make signals and let each other know what is going on.
This year for my bull my buddy was about 40 yards away and we couldn't see each other. They bull was coming in and my buddy had no idea what was happening because we had been waiting for about 25 minutes. They whole time I could see the bull and knew it was coming even though it was coming in silent. It was mid-day and my buddy decided to lay down and rest his eyes. (we almost always take a mid-day nap if nothing is happening). Right before my buddy was going to come and see what the heck was going on and why I hadn't come back yet the bull was at 15 yards and walking past me. I stopped the bull and shot him. My buddy sat up when he heard me shoot just in time to see the bull running by him at full speed unaware of what had happened.
Our new rule after that was to be as far away as possible but still be able to see each other.

With a decoy I would say definitely within eye sight but if no decoy, I'm not afraid to drop back 80-120 yards depending on the cover and terrain. It seems easier to call a little louder and be further away than be right next to your buddy and call soft. Bottom line...if you are having success stick with it. If the bulls are hanging up, change it up.

It all depends on the situation, cover available, how dense the cover is in the area. The whole idea is to be far enough away that the bull who is looking for the caller will have to pass by the shooter before he gets to a point where the bull thinks he should be able to see the elk making all the noise.

This is probably the biggest mistake hunters make is being to close to the shooting hunter and the bull comes up short of the shooter because he thinks he should be able to see the other elk. Then the up front hunter is stuck in the middle with not a lot of options and the bull is not on alert because he can't see elk!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back