Camo all the way?

Tenderfoot

May 8, 2014
Do you cover every bit of exposed skin with camo while in the elk mountains?

I for one am cutting a lot of extra camo out of my loadout this year... I first archery hunted with a fellow who grew up whitetail hunting in the south. We looked like a couple of floating eyeballs moving through the timber...camo head to toe. After a few seasons I am convinced that movement and wind awareness far outweigh the camo one is wearing. I am losing the camo gloves and facemask this year, and may even hunt in a short sleeved shirt early in the season. How about you, do you get all camo\'d up?

I often wonder how folks kill any wildlife or wild fowl before camo... :mrgreen:

When I was young I never used any camo at all... I now wear what suits me... I\'m never totally camoflaged except when I hunt turkey... My hands and face and neck never see camo except for my gray beard... :D :D

i totally agree, think about how hard it is to see a deer thats not moving. no camo there.

camo makes it more difficult to see you. but i agree..most animals see movement. not shapes.

soo..i think camo hides some of our movements. i know it makes my backpack fun to find when i drop it in the grass..fun game!

\"bnsafe\" said:
i totally agree, think about how hard it is to see a deer thats not moving. no camo there.

I guess I have to disagree to a certain point here. That deer is blending in and does have camouflage to its natural surroundings. As do most living things to their natural surroundings. So I would have to agree with mother nature on the fact that blending in does make a difference. Camo does help to a certain point. But its the simple things that wont stand out. The movement thats the biggest factor to blending in.
Just dont wear things that outline your image or contrast to much to your surroundings.....ex. white bucket in the middle of a newly asphalted road.
The camo patterns big companies sell? No, I dont agree with that.

I wear it.
Its pretty good stuff to wear in the woods, durable, breathable, and if it gives me a couple of extra seconds...why not?

\"cnelk\" said:
I wear it.
Its pretty good stuff to wear in the woods, durable, breathable, and if it gives me a couple of extra seconds...why not?

Don\'t get me wrong... I wear camo year round but don\'t have to get dressed to go to work or to try to impress folks... I wear mine cause it\'s comfortable... BUT that\'s what I buy too... What\'s comfortable... Pattern makes littl\' difference to me as long as it\'s Mossy Oak or NatGear... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I don\'t have matched sets... Ever thin\' I wear is miss matched... For my comfort factor... :upthumb: :upthumb:

No fashion statement... That\'s just me... :D :D

It might not make a difference to the elk, but I like to hide from other people, and there it makes a difference.

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
\"cnelk\" said:
I wear it.

Don\'t get me wrong... I wear camo year round but don\'t have to get dressed to go to work or to try to impress folks... I wear mine cause it\'s comfortable... BUT that\'s what I buy too... What\'s comfortable... Pattern makes littl\' difference to me as long as it\'s Mossy Oak or NatGear... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I don\'t have matched sets... Ever thin\' I wear is miss matched... For my comfort factor... :upthumb: :upthumb:

No fashion statement... That\'s just me... :D :D

You look pretty matched in your avatar. :tease:

I only wear gloves if my hands get cold. I have a face mask around my neck and will pull it up if I am sneaking in on an elk or sitting and calling. I do wear camo but don\'t worry if they match each other. Movement is what will get you busted.

\"Tenderfoot\" said:
I am not thinking of ditching camo all together. .. just the face mask and camo gloves.

I only wear face mask and gloves when turkey huntin\'... The rest of time I don\'t...

\"Still Hunter\" said:
\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
I don\'t have matched sets... Ever thin\' I wear is miss matched...

You look pretty matched in your avatar. :tease:

In that picture I\'m wearin\' 3 different Mossy Oak patterns (cap, fleece shirt/jacket, waders) on the outside, NatGear handwarmer muff and NatGear and a couple of Mossy Oak patterns underneath... I also wear a hooded jacket in some kinda off breed camo pattern for the boat ride in and out and when it\'s rainin\'....

My normal deer huntin\' duds start out with a black Smartwool base layer, a couple of pair of Smartwool socks, black UA (not the compression stuff) turtle neck fleece shirt (don\'t rember the pattern it is) and Mossy Oak (different pattern than the shirt/jacket) light weight bib overalls... I put the heavy layer on after that dependin\' how cold it is... Sometimes NetGear heavy fleece and sometimes Mossy Oak heavy bibs and shirt/jacket...

I\'ll have to back up... I just remember the wife gave me a pair of NatGear heavy weight fleece bibs last year for Christmas that matches the NetGear fleece shirt/jacket I wear deer huntin\' when it gets real cold... BUT then I got a orange cap and vest I wear over them... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know ya\'ll didn\'t want the read all that but I\'m bored and needed somethin\' to do... :D :yawn: :D :yawn:

A few of um.... :D :D

Here\'s a full size picture... My grandson is learnin\' the right way too... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok, you\'re not matched, but pretty close.

You need to get out of those swamps, and come hunt our mountains. You need a gazillion ducks to feed you as much as one elk will do.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
Ok, you\'re not matched, but pretty close.

You need to get out of those swamps, and come hunt our mountains. You need a gazillion ducks to feed you as much as one elk will do.

I already figure that and it came to somewhere between 200 and 225 big ol\' fat mallards at 2 pounds each to equal one normal size elk... Plus it\'s a whole lot easier to haul out a bunch of limits of mallards that one elk and since my medical conditions want let me come to the high country I have to wander the flooded low lands (swamps) of SE Arkansas with a lot of help from my friends... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back