Camo

Bigggcountry

Jul 26, 2013
Since there are 1,306 hours til Idaho archery opens Id like to get your opinion on what is the best camo pattern to pursue elk in the timber.

I don't think that it matters a whole lot. I have worn just about every pattern there is an even just normal outdoor work clothes hunting and been very close to elk. I hunt lots of sage brush and timber country so I wear a darker color sage brush get up. It isn't because it is the best, its just superstition on my part because that is the camo that I have killed the most critters wearing haha. But when I'm out camping and hiking around I have whatever 3 shirts of camo I grab. Maybe someone else has more of an opinion, but I think as long as you stay still and aren't silhouetted you should be good. I usually try to find a tree or bush to sit in front of and it works pretty good. I do wear a face mask if I have time because it breaks up your face outline a little bit. But it isn't 100% necessary either.

answer is any camo will work pattern doesnt matter function does a good system and layers is all that counts

I know guys that are as bad as my wife. They won't walk out the door unless everything matches.  Other guys could care less. I agree that a layering system is more important than what color it is.

I wear Sitka Open Country and do just fine.  You can hunt them in blue jeans and an orange vest. Its about how you want to go about it.

for my self I love camo all kinds but I don't wear it elk hunting . I find what works best is a solid color , if in the trees than a darker tone color itself doesn't matter, pink ,green or black what ever, doesn't matter elk are color blind . its all about not moving when they are looking at you.

I agree that skills as a hunter come before the pattern. That being said I think having a good effective camo can save you when you do make a mistake. I use Open Country and Mountain Mimicry and think both work awesome. You can see the elk look right through you wondering what it there.

Realtree Extra for the areas I hunt, which is mostly dark timber. I just like the darker pattern.  Anything that breaks up your outline and somewhat matches the shade of your surroundings will work.

I think if you play your cards right, it does not matter what pattern you are using. Personally, I am using Kryptek Highlander pattern on most of my gear this year.

I don't think pattern  makes a lot of difference.  Movement does though.  The old legends shot mostly wood bows and no camo.  The wind is more of a factor then patterns and soft materials that don't make a noise when you draw or rub bushes I feel is a must.  My range is 20 yds and under with my longbow.  Quiet is most important to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back